Sunday, April 15, 2012

Some Changes…

Hi all. 

I started this blog over two years ago with the sole intention of recording the events in my family life.  It was my way of “scrapbooking” since I’ve never been able to do real scrapbooks.  I didn’t have the artistic talent to cut and paste backgrounds and stickers and photos together, but I knew how to tell stories, and I liked taking photos to accompany them.

I initially told a few friends and family members about my blog, though way down deep in my heart, part of me really did hope I’d be one of those famous bloggers who could actually make some money doing something I enjoyed.

DSCF8995

And I do enjoy blogging!  I like writing.  Every kind comment, either in the Comments section of my blog or in person sent me over the moon, seriously!  I’ve enjoyed telling you guys the stories and random thoughts of mine that sometimes but not always didn’t have much to do with my family.  One of my favorites ever was this one.  It was kind of dumb, really, but I loved thinking it through and writing it!  But I realized recently that

a) I’m not going to be a famous blogger (I know!  I can’t believe it either!) and

b)  I’ve gotten away from documenting my family stuff. 

DSCF8996You may not agree with the last one.  You may think, “Gosh, she bores us with pictures of her children all the time!”  But really, that’s where I’ve reined myself in for the last year and a half.  Knowing I was building a (rather small) audience of readers who were not necessarily my mother, I was careful not to write too much about the kids.  Not to brag too much.  Not to gush about the cute things they’ve said.  Not to bore you guys with yet another sports photo. 

I was in something of a funk last week.  I did a lot of thinking, not just about my blog, but about my life overall, and I’m making changes, people!  I’m going to be on Facebook less (and I’m not playing any of the games on there at all), I’ll be checking in to Pinterest less, my house is going to be cleaner, I’m going to exercise more, and I’m going to try to be a nicer person.  I’m not as nice as I was 12 years ago.  I could blame that on the children, but….

Well.  Actually, I’m totes going to blame it on the children!  (I’m also DSCF9001blaming my extra weight, my wrinkles, my grey hairs, and my insatiable need for sleep on them.)  I also need to find a job.  I’ve been searching half-heartedly, but I need to get on the stick about that.  I want to feel satisfaction at the end of the day, but mostly I just feel tired and conscience stricken about how little I’ve accomplished, not just because I don’t have a job, but because I’m not doing my Stay At Home Job very well.

So anyhoo, my plan is to make my blog private.  I want to be able to write about my kids more and worry about my audience less.  I’m still going to do my book reviews and recipes because I want to record those, and I’ll still write my random thoughts on things here and there.  But I’m going to write about my family more.  Like how Jack realized there was a hole in his pants at church today, just below the zipper, and he couldn’t stop playing with it in church today.  The hole!  Nothing else!  (I think).  I don’t even want to know what the people around us must have been thinking.

If you’d still like to occasionally check in with my blog, I can add you to a list of people who can access the blog.  Let me know, either in the Comments section,via email, or in person…  I’ll probably let this post up for a week or so before I do that.

Thanks for being a great audience and wish me luck!

DSCF8974

                                                                           The end…kind of.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

8 comments:

Donna said...

Dear Dirty Laundry, I am a friend of a friend of yours and I have been following your blog faithfully for at least a year. I checked daily for updates and will miss your sense of humor. You never fail to brighten my day. If you can see your way clear, I would love to be added to your viewing audience.

I am not sure how this works (if you need my email address or what) so I have signed in with a Google ID for now.

Thanks for sharing your life with us mere mortals! :)

Beth said...

Hi Donna! What a very nice thing to say...I'd love to add you to the list. You are a "no reply" commenter(meaning I can't reply to your comment through private email) therefore I'm hoping you will open up this post and read the comments! I will need your email address to add you to the list, you can send it to me privately (and this goes for anyone reading) at bethjessie@gmail.com Thanks again!

Jemsmom said...

Woman... you better add me. I am loyal like a dog and would miss you terribly and your writing. You have a way with words that is amazing. I still think your job should be a lifestlye writer for a paper or something like that! You are an awesome and REAL person and that shines through! Sign me up! I want in!!!

stephanie said...

Hello!!!!!! Add me, add me. I really like your kids, well maybe not that little one who chases me with the rodent, I mean Herbie.... Of course I'm kidding, Jack is my favorite! Don't tell the others!

corners of my life said...

Your blog is one of my favorites. I'd have to join a twelve step program for withdrawal if I couldn't read your fun family news.

Crickit said...

Please count me in too! I really enjoy reading your blog! :)

Deb said...

You are not mean. :) Don't forget to include me!!!!

P.S. I LOVE that post and remember losing it when I got to the bra stuffer option. I have to say, your post has come in handy in that regard of late. Bet you can't even tell! Shazam.

Peace to you.

Karen said...

Thanks for the invite! I would not be content to see your children around town, I must know the private stuff too. For example, I saw you on Sunday, but totes missed Jack playing with his "pants". Oh, and I am great with the idea of more Wolfe-shots. God gave you cute kids for a reason girl... share those photos!