Monday, July 13, 2009

Zucchini Bread

'Tis the Season to bake Zucchini Bread!

Zucchini is growing in abundance right now. Some of it ends up in salads, on the grill pan, mixed into fresh tomato sauce on pasta, sauteed with onions, or dipped into Ranch dressing (Jack's fave).

I'm also making lots of zucchini bread, in fact I made my 4th batch of the summer this morning. Each time I make it, I try something new. I added butterscotch chips last week (even better than chocolate chips, believe it or not), today I tried making muffins instead of loaves (worked great!), and I'm planning to try substituting cocoa powder for some of the flour in the next loaf to make a chocolate zucchini bread.

Every now and then, I miss a zucchini in the garden and it will grow huge! Little zucchinis taste the best fresh or cooked, but monster zucchinis are perfect for zucchini bread. Here's Maddie holding a large (though not monster) zucchini I found this morning---busy weekend, I hadn't checked the garden for 3 days except to pick some green beans).
Here's my recipe:

Zucchini Bread

3 c. flour

2 c. sugar

1 t. baking soda

1 t. salt

1 t. cinnamon

1/4 t. baking powder

3 eggs

1/2 vegetable oil

1/2 c. sour cream

1 t. vanilla extract

2 c. shredded zucchini (I quarter zucchini and chop in my food processor)

optional: pecans, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, etc.

In a large bowl mix the first 6 ingredients. Mix in the eggs, oil, sour cream, and vanilla. Fold in zucchini and any extras. Bake at 350 degrees:


2- 9x5 loaf pans-60-65 min.

4 mini loaf pans-45 min.

24 muffins-20-25 min.



Today I put some of the extra batter into a madeleine pan for little zucchini madeleines too. Yum!


No comments: