Sunday, July 25, 2010

Taste the Rainbow

A few weeks ago, Meg from Whatever featured a a post about some rainbow pudding pops she made with her kids.  It looked fun, easy, and yummy, and I went right out and bought myself some instant vanilla pudding so I could make them for me with the kids.

And then a few weeks went by and I never did it, and then my friend Rauna sent me this link to another website that did the same project, and she spurred me into action.  Thanks, Rauna!

Maddie’s friend Ellie was over for the day.  First they mixed up the instant pudding, and put it in the fridge.  After about 5 minutes, the girls equally divided the pudding into 5 cups.  They were very funny about this, wanting to get the exact same amount in each cup!

2010_0721rainbowpudding0004

Next add and mix the food coloring.

2010_0721rainbowpudding0008

Then carefully layer the colors into a Dixie cup.  The purple looks really yucky here, but came out nicely in the end.

2010_0721rainbowpudding0012

The only popsicle sticks we had were previously licked ones at the bottom of the garbage can, so we stuck plastic spoons in the middle of the pudding layers and put the cups in the freezer.  (And it certainly never crossed my mind to sneak out the used, trash-laden popsicle sticks, wash them off and stick them in the pudding cups.  That would be crazy, yet rather resourceful, so really, not so awful- though just a tad disgusting- plus we had an outside-of-the-family witness, so even if I had thought of it, which I didn’t, well, I totally wouldn’t have done it anyway).

They took FOREVER to freeze.  Ellie ended up taking hers home with her.  Ours were still not frozen by supper time, and the kids needed to wait overnight (FOREVER) until they could have them the next day.  I don’t think pudding pops for breakfast is so crazy in the summer, do you? (Poor Ben was at a friend’s Bible School and had to wait until lunchtime to have his).

2010_0721rainbowpudding0020 The only suggestion I have (and it’s also what Meg suggested although I didn’t believe her) is that the larger sized Dixie cups I used were just too much to eat.  Next time I would use the smallest size.

Have fun!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Yum!! Yes, these would be perfectly acceptable in our home for breakfast, too!! Very cool idea!
Wendy

Deb said...

Too much to eat? What is wrong with you people?

P.S. Good call on only exhibiting that type of behavior when there are only blood witnesses. I think some people just don't understand "resourceful" like others of us.

P.P.S. Uh, and I would like my tomato whole, please.

Ellie said...

Thanks for the great idea, Beth! We are having ours for breakfast this morning, too.