Tuesday, November 23, 2010

May I Suggest a Nice Red Velvet Instead?

Is there a recipe you’re often asked to make?  When I go to family picnics, I’m always asked to bring the baked beans,  my cousin Sunny brings her banana cake, my cousin Donna is known for her rice pudding, my Aunt Betty has to bring along her peanut butter fudge and my mom makes and totes along the best broccoli salad ever.  It’s nice to be known for a special recipe.

Unfortunately, I’m also often asked to make carrot cake.  I say unfortunately because I don’t really like carrot cake, but it’s what I usually end up making for Dave’s, Ben’s, my mom’s and my father-in-law’s birthday almost every year, and I often make the Easter bunny cake a carrot cake too (I prefer coconut cake at Easter, but what do I know??)   At least I save myself a lot of cake calories over the course of a year!

Dave’s birthday was this month, and we celebrated the weekend before with chopsticks and saki.  But on his actual day he got to pick his birthday dinner (shrimp, pierogies, and green beans) and his dessert (you guessed it).

Long ago I realized that chopping a bag of baby carrots in my food processor was way easier than washing, peeling, and grating big carrots.
2010_1120carrotcake0004 2010_1120carrotcake0006
Isn’t the batter pretty with those carrot flecks?
2010_1120carrotcake0014
2010_1120carrotcake0016
And of course, carrot cake needs cream cheese frosting!
2010_1120carrotcake0023
Then after you pull the birthday boy’s ears…
2010_1120carrotcake0033
and blow out the candles…
2010_1120carrotcake0038
…it’s time for everyone (except me) to enjoy a piece of birthday cake.
2010_1120carrotcake0050

Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Cake:
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1- 1/4 c. oil
1 bag baby carrots, finely chopped in food processor
2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
1-1/4 c. raisins (optional-we opt out of these!)
Mix well the sugar, eggs, and oil.  Mix in carrots.  Add dry ingredients, mixing well.  If adding raisins, add them last.  Pour into two greased and floured round pans and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. 

Frosting:
1 -8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 stick margarine
2 c. confectioner’s sugar
1 t. vanilla
Cream together cream cheese and margarine.  Add sugar and beat well.  Mix in vanilla.

So I’m curious. What recipe are you always asked to bring to potlucks and picnics?

I am linking this post to Foodie Friday!

3 comments:

Deb said...

Ewwwwww. Carrot cake. Gross. Sign me up for your red velvet. :-)

People don't generally ask me to bring anything twice. I've decided I'm OK with that.

Maria M. Boyer said...

I love carrot cake, and yours looks phenomenal. I think you should add Book Club to your list of events during the year for which you make this! ;)

Karen said...

My birthday is September 21, and I want your carrot cake... but I will settle for the recipe. Thanks for sharing, it looks delicious!