Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blueberry Crisp

We are eating berries like crazy right now!  Blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and red raspberries are all (fairly) cheap and we all love them.  Soon we will make our yearly trip to Honeybear Orchards to pick black raspberries and apricots, but for now, Wal-Mart, Costco, and the local fruit stand are keeping us well-supplied.

Mostly we just make them all into fruit salad or throw a handful on a bowl of cereal, but over the weekend I decided to make blueberry crisp. 

First, fill your entire 13x9 pan with blueberries.
2011_0531memorialday0015
I’m not sure how many cups this was, I guess I should have measured!  But I used about half of a 32 ounce package from Costco, so maybe 4 cups?  Bad blogger.

Next mix together melted butter, cinnamon, flour, sugar, and some oats, then spread the mixture over your blueberries.  Dot that baby with lots of butter, and sprinkle with more cinnamon.2011_0531memorialday0020
Don’t worry, the healthy blueberries and oats cancel out all that butter.  Scout’s honor.

After you bake for about 50 minutes, let it cool a bit, and then serve it warm with ice cream.  Dave made his homemade vanilla ice cream, and it was (almost) better than the blueberry crisp.
2011_0531memorialday0086
And together, the crunchy, warm blueberry crisp mingled with the sweet velvety melting ice cream made for an immensely satisfying dessert. 

This recipe is actually my apple crisp recipe, and I took a chance that the blueberries would work out okay (which they did!) (and that’s also why I didn’t know how any cups of blueberries to use) (and I have to say, it was even better than the apple crisp) (how many parentheses is too many?)  I think you could probably adapt this recipe using other fruits such as blackberries, peaches, and maybe sour cherries with success…


Blueberry Crisp
4 cups blueberries (or enough to cover the bottom of a 13x9 pan)
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 c. quick cooking oats
2 T.  cinnamon, divided
1/4 c. butter

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Place blueberries in a 13x9 pan.
-In a bowl, mix together (with fork) flour, melted butter, sugar, oats and 1 T. cinnamon.
-Sprinkle flour mixture over blueberries.
-Dot with 1/4 c. butter.
-Bake 50 minutes.
-Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!

I am linking this recipe with Foodie Friday.

11 comments:

stephanie said...

Looks yummy! What kind of ice cream maker do you have? I'm in the market,I so LOVE homemade ice cream! I think this would be an awesome summer activity!

Beth said...

Stephanie, our ice cream maker is just a cheapie from Wal-Mart, a "Rival", but we love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that looks delicious!

Marlis said...

You are right, right now the berries are pretty inexpensive. The crisp looks wonderful. many blessigs, marlis

Wendy said...

Looks delicious! We'll have to give your recipe a try! Isn't Honeybear the best...we love our visits there!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

Oh man, I would LOVE this. I love blueberries.

I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/06/02/mini-peach-cobblers

Anonymous said...

YES!..looks sooo gooood!..we love us some fresh berries round here,and blueberries and blackberries are abundant just for the pickin'..I try and keep something cooked up with fresh berries 24/7.
~Jo
Lazyonloblolly

The Fajdich Times said...

The berries seem to be especially sweet this year! I have been buying blueberries and strawberries, and they are so BIG. I must try the blueberry crisp, that sounds so good:)

Marysol said...

Even if the blueberries and oats fail to cancel out the effects of butter, your mouthwatering description is making me cave. I'll have to make this wonderful dessert.

Amy said...

Your blueberry crisp looks wonderful and I want a big bowl with a scoop of vanilla ice cream please! YUM! Yes, it's the berry season and my kids love all kinds of berries. Gotta try your recipe soon. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I'm hosting 2 giveaways on my blog. One for $50 Thrive products and the other one is baking molds and more. Please stop by and check them out. Have a wonderful weekend.

Amy
http://utry.it

Slo said...

This looks Heavenly! I love blueberries. I am going to get some blueberries and make this very, very soon! Yum!