Friday, May 6, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

I made this scrumptious and utterly simple dessert for Easter dinner (the bunny cake was for Dave’s family, this was for mine), though I feel compelled to tell you that my mom also brought Whoopie Pies and they were the first thing to go, because who can say no to a whoopie pie?  After I got over my hurt feelings, a few people braved my dessert and it was gone pretty quickly… kind of like how the candy in the Halloween bag still gets eaten up after the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and the KitKats are all gone and all that’s left is smashed Jolly Ranchers and sad looking, crunched up malted milk balls which mostly, we must admit, get eaten out of pity and/or desperation. 

Anyway.

Get yourself a graham cracker crust (I use the biggest size), a package of Chips Ahoy, a small container of Cool Whip, and a glass of milk.

Dip each cookie in milk…

2011_0505easterbandconcert0037

and then lay it out in the pie crust.  Break some up to make them fill out the bottom of the crust.

2011_0505easterbandconcert0039

Then add a layer of Cool Whip…

2011_0505easterbandconcert0040

and another cookie layer and a final layer of Cool Whip.

2011_0505easterbandconcert0042

Cover that baby up and put it in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight so it all kind of smushes together.   Did you catch that??  And understand it?  You must plan ahead for this dessert.  Not remember that fact on Easter morning.  Ahem.

When you’re ready to serve it up, crumble another cookie over the top of the pie to make it all pretty!

2011_0505easterbandconcert0044

It isn’t the most beautiful dessert when it’s cut up, but if no one brings whoopie pies to your dinner, everyone will just love it anyway!  They will recognize it for its inner goodness and deliciousness.

2011_0505easterbandconcert00542011_0505easterbandconcert0050

2011_0505easterbandconcert0056-1

Stupid whoopie pies.

(P.S.—This dessert comes directly from Southern Living-Our Best Easy Weeknight Favorites.)

(P.P.S.-I am linking this dessert to many other fabulous recipes at Foodie Friday.  If you are looking for a good Whoopie Pie recipe, call my mother.)

4 comments:

Crickit said...

This looks so easy and yummy! I will be trying it out :)
Thanks for sharing!

stephanie said...

Oh my, do you think I could add a little cream cheese in there somewhere? That looks awesome, maybe we'll have that for dinner tonight!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

This is brilliant!!!


I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/05/05/homemade-coffee-creamer/

Slo said...

Oh, Beth, I am dying laughing at the last picture with the little bubble! I love it! Your pie looks great to me. I bet it gives the whoopie pies a run for their money!