Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pumpkin Muffins

Made from two ingredients.

Yes, you read me right!

I think this recipe has been around for awhile, in fact I seem to remember it from my Weight Watcher’s days which were back when Maddie was born, so that’s a good 11 years ago.
Also, these are delicious.  Words cannot describe how moist these muffins are, in fact, if I were to try a word, it would probably have to be “creamy”.  I’m not sure how a muffin can be creamy, but these come pretty darn close.

Here are your two ingredients:
DSCF6969
The original Weight Watcher’s recipe I used was a box of angel food cake mix and a can of pumpkin (because angel food cake is fairly low in fat and calories), and the recipe that’s traveling around blogs right now calls for any cake mix (red velvet, chocolate, yellow, etc.) and a can of pumpkin, but when I went to the grocery store to pick out my cake mix (I was thinking a spice cake would be good) I saw this muffin mix.  First of all, it’s made with Cinnabon cinnamon which I just love.  Second of all, it comes with a streusel topping, which just sounded better than a bare muffin.  I was worried, however, that the recipe would only work with a cake mix, not a muffin mix, but I gave it a try anyway
.
ALSO, did you know that there’s a pumpkin shortage right now?  The first two stores I went to had signs like these:
photo
But I found some at Walmart.  I bought six cans, and I may go back and buy more, because these muffins were such a hit with my kids, and with a whole can of pumpkin in there, I think they’re a little bit healthy too, right?  By the way, Walmart’s pumpkin was only priced at $1.68 a can instead of Giant’s $2.19—BONUS!)

So basically, mix together your muffin or cake mix and your can of pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie mix though…just plain pureed pumpkin), then dump it into your muffin tins.  I found this box only made 11 nice sized muffins.  I wonder if a cake mix would make more, because a cake mix usually makes 24 cupcakes. 

This came with streusel topping, so I also patted that onto the top of each muffin.  Bake the muffins in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.  Mine took about 22 minutes.
DSCF6975
DSCF6981
These were seriously delicious, made of two ingredients you can keep on hand (if you can find the pumpkin), and a little bit healthy (lots of pumpkin and no oil in there!)

I hope you like them as much as we did!


Pumpkin Muffins
1 – 15 oz. can pumpkin
1 muffin or cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Cinnamon Streusel Muffin Mix)

Mix together.  Fill muffin tins almost to top.  Bake for about 20 minutes until cake tester comes out clean.  Allow to cool for a few minutes, and then remove muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.

I am linking this recipe with Foodie Friday!

13 comments:

stephanie said...

Oh my goodness, I will be right over. Are there any left?

If I go to Walmart and find that there is no pumpkin on the shelf, I am so coming over to your house! You pumpkin hoarder you.

How about adding some raisins? And can't we get a little cream cheese in there somehow?

Beth said...

RAISINS???? Just...no.

For the cream cheese, I suggest melting a little cream cheesefrosting and dribbling it over the top!

Also...I FOUND MORE PUMPKIN AT TARGET! And bought 4 more cans. My name is Beth, and I'm a pumpkin hoarder.

stephanie said...

Pumpkin & raisin go together like
Salt & pepper
popcorn & butter
peanut butter & jelly

What do you have against the sweet little raisin????

Tara said...

I agree with the pumpkin hoarder: NO RAISINS! I did not know there was a pumpkin shortage, nor do I need any canned pumpkin, but just knowing that you are out there, wiping all the Central Pa shelves clean of pumpkin makes me want some. I'm easily influenced. I'm also on a diet, which is why this post with lots of close-ups of delicious muffins is making me Miss CrankyPants.

Jemsmom said...

Stephanie... I can see the raisin thing, but I am thinking no on this one!!! Do you seriously just mix them together? No oil, no egg, nothing??? I am sooooo going to have to try these bad boys!!!

Deb said...

Look, if you're going to buy up all the pumpkin in town, at least you can share (and by that I mean deliver) your final product with your pals.

Raisins are gross. Chocolate and pumpkin is the most delicious thing I've ever had.

Sara K. said...

Amen Deb. Put some chocolate chips in the muffins! I am a pumpkin hoarder, also too. 2 years ago there was a pumpkin shortage due to a rainy cold summer in the pumpkin growing regions. I still have lots of cans on my shelf from that. So, hoard away.

Unknown said...

Seriously? Im sitting here amazed right now! I also happen to have these ingredients in my pantry right now! I'm going to give these a try this afternoon! It will be great to have these semi-healthy muffins around this weekend with the grandkids running around. Thank you so much for sharing... If you get a chance pop over to my blog and enter my End of Summer Giveaway its a stripped cloth Hammock!

~Rainey~
The Project Table
http://theprojecttable.blogspot.com

Karen said...

This is my first "off" week for PREP and I know what I will be eating while I watch CBS Sunday Morning!

Maria M. Boyer said...

Found pumpkin. Making muffins now. :)

Lois Christensen said...

These look fabulous! I saw a recipe similar to yours only using vanilla cake mix. But I like yours better because of the streussel topping! Great recipe!

Slo said...

This looks delicious!!!!!! I'm going to try these. Thanks for your good ideas. I am not a Betty Crocker myself. Your recipes are very helpful.

Slo said...

PS - I must agree with Beth. No raisins. It might ruin a good thing. Maybe chocolate chips.