Friday, January 29, 2010

Real Men (And Children) Do Eat Quiche

Quiche happens to be a meal everyone in the family likes.  (Although Ben and Jack refuse to eat the crust, which makes absolutely no sense to me, starch lover that I am, but whatever).

It’s also Maddie’s favorite meal.  We always save a piece for her to have for breakfast the next morning.

The beauty of this quiche recipe, which comes from my Aunt Betty, by the way, is that it is extremely versatile.  I’m going to give you the basic recipe, but you can use different cheeses, steamed vegetables, cooked meats, etc. 

Our tried and true family favorite is cubed ham and monterey jack and cheddar cheeses.  But I’ve also made it with fresh tomatoes and bacon in the summer (my personal favorite); swiss cheese and spinach; broccoli, ham, mushrooms and cheddar, etc.

Here’s a look at the finished product:
2010_0128quiche0021
(By the way, do you see the bright light coming in the window?  I took this photo around 5 p.m.!  Yay!  Light at 5 p.m.!  Spring is on its way!)
2010_0128quiche0011
Versatile Quiche
1 pie shell (I use Pillsbury’s rolled up crust)
2 c. shredded cheese, divided
3 eggs
1 c. sour cream (regular or light---NOT fat free)
1/4 t. salt

Beat eggs then add sour cream and mix.  Add 1 cup any shredded cheese and any extras you may wish (cubed ham, bacon, shredded lunchmeat ham, steamed spinach, cooked or canned mushrooms, tomatoes, steamed broccoli, green pepper, onion, etc.)

Pour into prepared pie crust.  Spread the remaining cup of cheese over the top. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Sit back and enjoy a night of no complaints about dinner from anyone (except from the crazies who won’t eat the crust…)

I am linking this recipe to Foodie Fridays at Designs by Gollum!

10 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Great photos of that delicious quiche! All you have to do is say cheddar cheese and sour cream to me to have me hooked! Thanks for sharing, Beth!

Happy Foodie Friday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

honeysuckle said...

Who doesn't like quiche! It is so satisfying. This recipe sounds like it would also fit the bill. Thanks for sharing it today!

Signing Out said...

That looks delicious!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Hahaha... yes, my men would be very happy to eat this quiche.

:)
ButterYum

Unknown said...

I love the light is staying on longer :)

Your quiche looks devine...we are huge quiche fans and eat it often when our little hens gift us with an abundance of eggs :)

Blessings!
Gail

Hannah said...

Can't wait to try it, Beth... maybe tonight!

Wendy said...

Wrote this one down! Looks great!

vignette design said...

Now this, I can make! Looks delicious.

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Thanks for the quiche recipe. We have chickens, and I am always looking for recipes that involve eggs. :-) I know just what you mean about the sunlight. I am rejoicing, too.

Unknown said...

my stomach is growling! looks & sounds so yummy! I am printing the recipe & can't wait to make it! Mike & I love eggs & when you mix them with cheese & sour cream, life can't get much better!! Will should definitely eat this also without much complaining.