Saturday, January 15, 2011

Book List

I love to read.  Did you see I added a new widget over there on the right that shows what I’m currently reading (if you care)?  I always like to hear about new books, so if you read something you love, let me know.  You can click on that widget and  it will take you to goodreads.com, and you can keep track of your books too, if you want to do that. 

I thought I’d make you a list of books I really enjoyed this year.  I am not saying any of these are necessarily good literature (although some definitely are), they just really kept me reading.

1.  One Day by David Nicholls.  This may be my new favorite book ever.  I read it for book club, and people were divided over this one, but I really, really loved it.  David Nicholls can tell a story!  His novel takes place on the same day in June every year from about the mid-eighties(I can’t remember exactly) to present time.  You learn a lot about the two major characters by seeing that tiny slice of their year…though some of it you need to piece together.  I can’t say any more than that, except that I really hope you read this book!


2.  Every Last One by Anna Quindlen.  I love Anna Quindlen.  Her latest novel makes you feel like you are a member of the main character’s family, her writing is so vivid and detailed.  My friend Stephanie said she felt like she was “looking over the main character’s shoulder” the whole time she was reading, and that describes it perfectly.  This is a novel of family and tragedy.  I knew that was what it was about because of the dust jacket, but Quindlen lulled me into forgetting all about what was to come.  I just loved being a part of this family.  Again, I don’t want to ruin anything.  Please read.


3.  The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  Okay, I know everyone is reading this one, and if you haven’t, what are you waiting for?  For the first time ever, my entire book club all raved about a selection.  The novel is set in the sixties in Mississippi and the title refers to the black “help” in the form of nannies, housekeepers, etc. for the more privileged white families.  You will not be able to put it down!




4.   The Hunger Games and Catching Fire but not Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.  Although these novels were written for teens, adults love them too.  Set in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic world, certain chosen children of  Panem (what used to be the US) must fight in a yearly reality tv-type Survivor-style game---the goal of which is to be the last one alive.  The last book in the series was a real let-down.  Maddie was reading the series with me and she stopped just a few chapters into the last book.  It was very dark, violent, and had long stretches of incredibly boring scenes.  But the first two novels were page turners!


5. I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg.  Yes the Fannie Flagg who used to be on Match Game all the time in the seventies and cohosted Candid Camera.  I have loved all of her novels so much, and was thrilled to pieces that she had another coming out in November.  I was the first one to get it from the library and I devoured it in a few days.  Flagg is funny, witty, and does she know people.  Her characters’ dialogue, mannerisms, weaknesses, etc. are so real and so sweetly funny.  Please read this one or one of her many other novels (I’m sure you’ve heard of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe---the movie Fried Green Tomatoes was based on this novel.)

By the way, if you’ve stuck with me to the end of this post, I am excited to announce that I will be having a real, honest-to-goodness, actual, not-made-up giveaway, here on my blog, on my next post!  I am not talking about giving away some lame zucchini, people.  This is an actual giveaway, with a real prize, given randomly to a reader.  Details will be in the next post!

10 comments:

Maria M. Boyer said...

"like"

Wendy said...

Love your new look! Thanks for the insight on the books, will look them up at the Library. I've been behind on my reading :)
Wendy

Betsy said...

This post is so timely. . .I am in need of some new reading material and I was going to FB you asking for some suggestions. Thanks for reading my mind :-) Can't wait to look for these at the library!
Betsy

Deb said...

Oh, pick me, pick me for your giveaway! Randomly, of course. Because I never got my zucchini. But that's OK -- next summer I'll just take your first tomato. :-)

Read the Anna Quindlen one and loved it.

The Help is next, and I'm adding the others you've suggested to my list. I love to read but feel overwhelmed trying to pick a book.

Crickit said...

I also LOVE to read and I am always looking for a good book. Thanks for the recommendations. I will definately be checking these books out! :)

Karen said...

Thanks for "the help" Beth! I can always use the suggestoins. I have been thinking about getting The Help, I've heard great things about it. And I have always wondered about Fannie Flagg books, the covers always look so interesting but I've never picked one up!

Tiffanee said...

Thanks. I have been lookinfpg for a few good books to read. I just finished Saving Kristen by Jack Weyland. It was kind of a teen book, but I loved it.

Tiffanee said...

Thanks. I have been lookinfpg for a few good books to read. I just finished Saving Kristen by Jack Weyland. It was kind of a teen book, but I loved it.

stephanie said...

Thanks for the quote!!
I couldn't agree more with all of your selections. I must add one more, The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard......fantastic read!

Jen said...

beth- it doesn't even last an entire day- thank goodness- 10hrs or so