Friday, July 2, 2010

Soggy Raspberries with the Underwears

Earlier this week, the kids and I joined our friends, the Underwears (the word on the street is that their last name is German slang for underwear…my children LOVE this fact so, so,  so, so much) back in the orchard, this time to pick some apricots and raspberries.

First up were the apricots.  We picked buckets of them and they are delicious!  I might go back for more next week.  As we got in our car to head to the raspberry section of the orchard, I snapped this shot of an approaching rainstorm.  Things were not looking good…

2010_0628monday0040

But we got to picking:

2010_0628monday0041 2010_0628monday0046

2010_0628monday0047 2010_0628monday0044

2010_0628monday0048

And then it started to rain (note the raindrop on the photo above)and the wind started to blow and the children started to scramble.

2010_0628monday0052  2010_0628monday0054

Mrs. Underwear and I braved the rain and continued picking while the kids had a party in the minivan.

Then Mrs. Underwear went home and baked two raspberry pies and made raspberry chocolate chunk ice cream.  The Underwear children were very happy this week.  My children made do with black raspberry sorbet.

I got the recipe from this month’s Martha Stewart magazine. 

First freeze the raspberries on a cookie sheet in the freezer.

2010_0701raspsorbet0009

Then mix together the raspberries, sugar, and water in your food processor.

2010_0701raspsorbet0013

Put this in an airtight container and freeze.

While waiting for the sorbet to freeze, make yourself some homemade whipped cream.  Watch carefully for sneaky boys:

2010_0701raspsorbet0019

After the children have asked for the gazillionth time if it’s ready yet, if probably will be.  Scoop the sorbet out with an ice cream scoop, and top with the whipped cream:

2010_0701raspsorbet0022

Yum!

2010_0701raspsorbet0034

Black Raspberry Sorbet

3 c. black raspberries, frozen

1/4 c. water

1/4 c. sugar

-Stir together water and sugar until sugar dissolves.

-Pulse raspberries in a food processor until coarsely chopped.  With machine running, pour in sugar water, pulse until mixture is smooth.  Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.

Whipped Cream

2 T. sugar

1 c. heavy whipping cream

-Beat cream and sugar until soft peaks form.

 

I am linking this post to Foodie Fridays at Designs by Gollum.

4 comments:

Maria M. Boyer said...

YUM!

mrs. c said...

Thank you so much for commenting on my post, silly me did not realize I was supposed to put the name of the recipe instead of my name....guess my blonde is showing! Lovely photos, how do you make them so big on your blog, I use blogspot and mine are not so large. I picked blueberries and blackberries this week! Hope you have a wonderful 4th and I am now a follower!

Wendy said...

Looks like a great day and enjoyed some of the apricots at Kris's yesterday!!
Will need to try your recipe :)
Wendy

Julie said...

Great story!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog.