Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Cutest Little Cookie Ever!

We love cinnamon buns around here, but I have to tell you that I’ve never made homemade cinnamon buns.  Pillsbury does it so well that I’ll just bake some of those up for the kids (okay, for me-who are we kidding) and we all enjoy them on the occasional cozy Saturday morning.

However, I found a recipe that makes the cutest little cinnamon bun cookies!  Besides being absolutely adorable, and I mean you really do want to tickle them under the chin and play peek-a-boo with them, they taste very doughy and yummy.  I think they taste best within the first few days of baking them though.

First make your dough (recipe at the bottom).  Then you are going to take teaspoonfuls of the dough and roll them into little snake shapes, about 6 inches long.
2010_1222chrsitmasstuff0006

Then dredge your snake in a cinnamon-sugar mixture.
2010_1222chrsitmasstuff0010

And coil it into a cute wittle cinnamon bun shape!
2010_1222chrsitmasstuff0011

Fill up your cookie sheet and bake.
2010_1222chrsitmasstuff0014

After they’ve cooled, drizzle them with a little melted frosting or melted white chocolate…
2010_1222chrsitmasstuff0020
2010_1222chrsitmasstuff0019
They look ginormous, but they’re each only about two inches wide.  Perfect with a cup of coffee for breakfast or  for a bake sale or to pack in school lunches!

Mini Cinnamon Bun Cookies
1 c. butter, softened
1-3/4 c. sugar, divided
3 egg yolks
1 T. honey
1 t. vanilla
2-1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1 T cinnamon
Drizzle:  8 oz. white baking chocolate or a can of vanilla frosting

In a large bowl, cream butter and 1-1/4 c. sugar.  Beat in egg yolks, honey, and vanilla.  Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar, gradually add to the creamed mixture.

In a shallow bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar. Shape a heaping teaspoonful of dough into a six inch long snake.  Roll snake in cinnamon-sugar.  Loosely coil snake into a spiral shape and place on a greased cookie sheet.  Repeat, placing cookies 1 inch apart.  Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until set.  Do not overbake to brown.  Remove to wire racks to cool  In a small bowl, melt chocolate or canned frosting.  Place in a ziploc bag with a small hole cut into corner of bag.  Drizzle over cookies and let stand until set.

By the way, don’t forget to enter the CSN Stores Giveaway!  You have until Friday, 1/21 at midnight!

I am linking this post to Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Yum! Tony and I were just talking about Cinnamon Rolls! He was at a food show today and they rolled them in shape of hearts and lined them in a plastic container used for Roses, added a big red bow for Valentines day! Thanks for the recipe :)
Wendy

stephanie said...

I was going to make these at Christmas and never got around to it but now that I've got your word that they are good I might make them tomorrow!! I can almost smell them from your pictures.

Crickit said...

Not only are they CUTE! They look delicious!!

Tiffanee said...

These are adorable! They also look and sound so delicious! I really want to make some now.

Lisa said...

What a delicious way to enjoy the flavor of cinnamon buns. Yours came out looking delightful. I'm starting a new linky on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by tomorrow or during the weekend and link this up.

MrsJenB said...

These are probably the cutest things I've ever seen. Ever. I wish I had a whole batch of them right now! Seriously, what I would do to them...

Visiting from Foodie Friday!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I LOVE these! This is completely new to me, but certain to be added to my cookie recipe repertoire. Can't wait to make them.

Jemsmom said...

Oh yeah!!!! Now we are talking! I may make these tonight! I even have a can of cream cheese frosting! Thanks for sharing!!!