Saturday, October 9, 2010

Happy Birthday, Jack!

Yesterday, this handsome little fella turned 6!
2010_1009jack6birthday0107
(Not the big handsome fella, the little one).

The birthday boy or girl always gets to choose his/her supper and birthday cake.  This year, Jack chose Pizza Hut pizza and hot wings, with Jello cake for dessert.  Sometimes the birthday boy or girl goes through my cookbooks and picks out a new, intricate cake recipe to try, so I’ll admit I was relieved at his choice this year, Jello cake is easy.

First, make yourself a white cake.  For picnics, I make it in a 13x9 pan, but for a birthday, I like to make a layer cake.  After you pull the cake out of the oven, make the Jello.  Jack picked cherry, but any flavor will do.  Make the large size box of Jello and mix in 2 c. of boiling water.  Do not add any cold water.
2010_1009jack6birthday0059  

While you are baking, keep on the watch for birthday boys who may be sneaking peeks at their presents…
2010_1009jack6birthday0071

Poke holes in your cake.  I use the end of a wooden spoon for nice big holes.  Once the Jello is mixed, pour it over the cake.  If your cake is still in a 13x9 pan, you are fine, but if you’re doing a layer cake, be sure to have something under your cakes to catch all the Jello runoff!
2010_1009jack6birthday0066

When all the Jello is poured over the cake, place it in the fridge to cool.  When it’s time for frosting, we use plain old Cool Whip around here.  It tops this cake perfectly.

Time to blow out the candles…
2010_1009jack6birthday0083

…and eat!
2010_1009jack6birthday0084

Happy 6th Birthday, Jack!


Jello Cake
1 box white cake mix, prepared
1  large box Jello, any flavor
2 c. boiling water
1 container of Cool Whip

Prepare white cake using box directions.  Immediately after pulling cake from oven, prepare Jello with 2 c. boiling water.  Stir well.  Poke holes in top of cake, then pour the Jello over the entire cake.  Place cake in refrigerator to cool.  When cake is cool, top with Cool Whip.

I am linking this post to Foodie Friday!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Jack!!! I remember he is a halloween baby!!
Thanks for the nomination! Now I have to get my thinking cap on!

corners of my life said...

This is such a refreshing cake. At our house we have it at Easter full of pastel colored jellos.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Aw... happy bday to the little one. We do the same thing in our house... everyone gets to pick their birthday dinner and cake. We celebrated Ms. 13 year old's eggplant parmesan and flourless chocolate cake dinner last week, and tomorrow is Mr. 22 year old's chicken enchiladas and cheesecake dinner. Next month will be Hubby's Steak and Death by Chocolate birthday celebration. Fun-fun!

:)
ButterYum

Maria M. Boyer said...

Happy Birthday, Jack. Is it really 6+ years since I was so rude I kept saying, "Better you than me"? Knowing Jack, I may have been wrong. He's a sweet kid. ;)