Thursday, August 5, 2010

You Say Tomato, I Say Delicious!

The tomatoes are ripe and plentiful this year!

2010_0804tomato0003

We’ve been eating tomato sandwiches for a couple of weeks now and loving every minute of it, but last night I used those tomatoes for my most favorite, most anticipated meal of the year:  Capellini with Fresh Tomato Sauce!

First chop 3-5 tomatoes.

2010_0804tomato0004

Put them in a bo2010_0804tomato0010wl and add red wine vinegar, olive oil, sugar, fresh basil (I got mine from my friend Maria’s garden), and garlic.  I cheat on the garlic and pull this jar from my fridge.  Mix well, cover the bowl and let it sit on your counter until suppertime…at least 4 hours!

Make a salad and some garlic bread as you get the water boiling for the capellini.  When the pasta is finished cooking, toss it with the tomato mixture that’s been marinating on you2010_0804tomato0014r counter all afternoon.

Quickly call in your family before you eat it all yourself.  This is important.  The family must be fed.  Restrain yourself!  (Have I mentioned this is one of my favorite meals ever?)

I like to add some freshly grated parmesan cheese.  Oh. yeah.

Just look at it!

2010_0804tomato0015

2010_0804tomato0019

Everyone likes this meal except Ben.  He thinks I make this just to torture him.  Really though, I require bathing just to torture him.  This supper I make for ME.

2010_0804tomato0027 2010_0804tomato0022

2010_0804tomato0028 2010_0804tomato0026

 

Capellini with Fresh Tomato Sauce

3-5 tomatoes, chopped

1/4 c. chopped basil

1/4 c. red wine vinegar

2 T. olive oil

2 t. minced garlic

4 t. sugar

1/4 pound capellini

grated parmesan cheese (optional)

Combine the first 6 ingredients.  Let stand, covered, for as least 4 hours.

At suppertime, cook the capellini according to package directions, drain and place in large serving dish.  Top with sauce, toss to combine.  Serve, sprinkled with cheese.

The original, untweaked recipe came from a Weight Watcher’s cookbook loaned to me by my friend Shelley before she moved.  Shelley, take that book with you the next time you visit!

I am linking this post to Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!  Click on the link to find more yummy recipes!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Yum! Looks delicious and great pictures!

Maria M. Boyer said...

I agree, looks delicious. But next time, tell me you're using garlic and I'll have some fresh-minced for you when you come for the basil. That jarred stuff is just icky.

stephanie said...

Must make this soon!!!!!!!!! Looks fantastic, thanks for the recipe!