Thursday, April 28, 2011

BBQ Chicken Pie

Do your children whine at most meals like mine?  There are only a few meals that everyone will eat without complaining, and today I’m going to share one of them.  As a bonus, this meal only uses 4 ingredients:  chicken, barbecue sauce, cheese and pie crust.

To make things easy, get yourself a ready-made refrigerated piecrust and slide it on into your pie pan.  Using a fork, make a bunch of holes in the bottom of the crust and bake it in a preheated 425 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.
2011_0423spring20017
Next you need to shred some cooked chicken.  If I have leftover chicken (like the weeks the large bonus packs of chicken breasts are on sale), I will have Dave grill all of them and use the extras for this recipe.  If I don’t have any leftovers, I buy a pack of chicken breasts or tenders and boil them until they are cooked.  Today I am using leftover grilled chicken breasts.  Using two forks, pull the chicken apart into small pieces.  This works easier when the chicken is hot, so if you have boiled chicken, shred it as soon as you pull it from the pot.
2011_0423spring20015
How much chicken should you use?  Well, the more the better, but sometimes when I’m using leftovers the pie is a little thin…and that’s okay.  A 3 -4 pack of chicken breasts will work well though for this recipe.
2011_0423spring20018
2011_0423spring20024
Next mix all that chicken with some barbecue sauce.  Maybe you have a great recipe for sauce, but we all like Sweet Baby Ray’s.  Squeeze as much or as little as you want in there to coat the chicken, maybe a half to one cup.

Now throw in a handful of grated cheese-any kind will do-I usually use cheddar or monterey jack, and mix it all up.  Then microwave that mess until it’s hot.  Pour the warmed chicken/cheese mixture into your baked piecrust and add another handful of cheese to the top.  Bake an additional 2-3 minutes until the cheese on top melts.   And there you have it!
2011_0423spring20028
This recipe was adapted from a Pampered Chef recipe.  They suggest you use green onions (which my children would whine about so I don’t use) in the chicken/cheese mixture, and that you lay slices of cheese on top of the baked piecrust, under the chicken mixture, which I don’t do.  They also suggest you garnish the whole thing with piped sour cream and cherry tomatoes, which sounds really good to me, but which I also don’t do (one guess why).

Here’s to a dinner with fewer dirty looks and a bit less sulking than usual!!

I am linking this post with Foodie Friday!

1 comment:

stephanie said...

Oh happy day, a new "easy" recipe!! I'm adding this to my files pronto! Looks great! I was thinking some black beans and corn would fit nicely in the pie also. But of course my kids don't like beans.