Wednesday, June 17, 2009

...No More Teacher's Dirty Looks...

From age 5 until age 31, I was continuously either a student or a teacher, and the word Summer would give me a warm, fuzzy, happy feeling. Freedom! Swimming! Sleeping Late! No Homework (to do or correct)! Yeah!

Now, the word summer gives me mixed feelings.

I love my children. Absolutely. But it's been only two weeks since we said good-bye forever to the bus driver, we ran home from the bus stop in anticipation of 100 days of sun and fun, and now they are driving me CRAZY! It doesn't help that it's been rainy and gloomy. The few days of sunshine have seen the kids riding bikes, swimming, playing kickball, etc., but their bickering and whining is starting to wear me down.

We've gone to the movies, played board games, baked blueberry muffins, played Legos and Wii, begun doing our Summer Jobs, had friends over to play, made visits to two relatives, gone to the library, and this week is Bible School (thank you, Jesus), but if either some good sunshine or August 31 doesn't arrive soon, I may be checking in to Philhaven.

Mmmm. Philhaven. Sounds quiet and restful, doesn't it? No one fighting over Matchbox cars or my attention or personal space. No one sulking because they have to go to swim lessons or because every second of the day isn't Eat-Yourself-Silly Time. Everyone medicated and happy! I bet I could request a padded room for the ultimate in peaceful solitude.

No comments: