Monday, June 29, 2009

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary...

I've always enjoyed gardening, especially perennials and vegetables. I think annuals are a pain (you've got to plant them every year and water them A LOT), but they do produce summer-long color, so I have them.

Every year I plant green beans (everyone's absolute favorite), tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and carrots. This year I've added a pepper plant, although I'm not too hopeful: I've tried peppers in the past, and they always rot before I can harvest them.
.
Because it's been a very rainy spring, the garden is an absolute jungle! Instead of the 3 cucumber trellises I usually use (one for each plant), I have six this year, the vines are so long! We can't wait for cucumber salad, tomato sandwiches, grilled zucchini, steamed green beans, zucchini bread, tomato/mozzarella salad...mmmm....won't be long now!

Jack is my fellow gardener. Of all three children, he's the one who helps me plant, weed, and harvest. He's especially good at harvesting cherry tomatoes...right into his litttle mouth. He had his first cherry tomato last week and he pronounced it "absolutely delicious!" We've had 3 or 4 ripe ones, but I haven't had one yet: they've all belonged to Jack.

Please enjoy these pictures of my burgeoning garden:

How can you tell when a zucchini is excited?

Darth Snaker, our rubber snake, glides among the carrots to keep the bunnies and moles at bay.


Can't wait for those tomato sandwiches in August!

My favorite garden picture ever...2 year old Jack checking for cherry tomatoes.

No comments: