Sunday, June 13, 2010

Some Haiku for You!

The last day of school was on Thursday.  Everyone has their traditions.  My friend Stephanie celebrates with a neighborhood ice cream party.  My friend Maria takes the kids to Knoebel’s Grove for the day.  My friend Wendy repaints the house while baking blueberry pie while refinishing furniture while making homemade popsicles topped with hand-crafted sprinkles with her children (okay, not really---but I’m betting it’s close).

I like to celebrate by writing haiku.  You know, the Japanese poetry that consists of three lines with 5, 7, then 5 syllables each.  Ever since I was a wee child, I’d shun the neighborhood kids running around in the sprinkler, singing their little, “No more teachers, no more books…” song, in favor of a more sophisticated end to my school year.

Here are some of my favorites from this year:

2010_0611poolpartyflowers0051

The hot tub a-churns

The sweaty filth of children

I hope no one peed.

 

2010_0611poolpartyflowers0056

His pruny small hands

So young yet so wrinkl-ed

Ew, they’re kinda gross.

 

2010_0611poolpartyflowers0033

 

 

Watermelon juice

He sucks thro’ the bendy straw

It’s weird, but genius!

 

 

 

2010_0612swimcousins0032

Thought he’d do a flip.

But landed on his belly.

Oooh, that’s gotta hurt.

2010_0605trackmeet0033

This muscle-bound lad

Just found out that on Monday

Bible school begins.

 

2010_0612swimcousins0063

That’s the way, uh-huh

Uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh

Uh-huh. That’s the way.

 

Happy Summer!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

You are too funny! I am happy to report I was pool side :)
Happy Summer to you, too!!
Wendy

Ellie said...

thanks for the laugh today!!!!!