Thursday, February 12, 2009

Taste of Spring

Last week Jack asked me if he could give God a call. Apparently, he wanted to ask him to end winter now and get summer started. Well, we didn't actually make the call, but we did include the request in his nightly prayers, and look what happened! Yesterday we had highs in the 60's! (I may ask Jack to pray for new shoes for mommy tonight).

Anyway, he and I took a walk around the neighborhood, drew all over the driveway with chalk, rode around the street on our scooters, and enjoyed several swing rides. When Maddie and Ben came home from school, a game of kickball got started in our cul-de-sac. What was great was that it was kid engineered from start to finish. Not a single adult felt the need to pitch the ball, intervene in disputes, or just hang out and watch. I was pushing Jack on the swing during much of the game and could hear the shouts and laughs and I think I enjoyed the game as much as they did!

Of course, overnight it was so windy, I think I slept in 15 minute shifts. When the wind blows around here, the house literally sounds like it is about to jump off the foundation and take flight. The floorboards creek, the fireplace rattles, the siding shakes, the windows leak air, and I swear I hear the rabbits in our backyard squeaking, "Doooorothy! Dorothy! Get down in this hole now!"

So this morning, our warmth is gone, our winter is back, the lawn furniture is on the pool cover, and the rabbits are plotting a way to tunnel into our basement. Hmph. Stupid groundhog and his stupid shadow.

No comments: