Monday, March 23, 2009

S'Mores!


The kids have been bugging us to make S'mores over the fire pit, ever since the first bout of warm weather back in February. Unfortunately, a certain member of the family (me) is a delicate flower who does not like the cold, so by evening when it chilled up again, we (I) always said no.

But I knew I couldn't put them off forever, so last week I headed to Wal-Mart and stocked up on graham crackers, Hershey chocolate bars, and marshmallows, and on Saturday night Dave lit the fire and set the pit a-smokin'. And I do mean smokin'. The fire just didn't want to catch, and it stuck its tongue out and raspberried puffs of smoke at us. I mostly stayed in the house cleaning up the dinner dishes (checking out Facebook) until Dave had it roaring (sputtering).

Everyone had fun roasting the marshmallows and putting the s'mores together. Maddie and Ben ate two each, Jack only worked his way through half of one...he was mostly interested in running around in the grass. Due to my low-carb diet, I just enjoyed the view.

Afterwards, I made everyone practically strip on the back porch and run upstairs and shower the smoky smell off themselves (yeah, I'm no fun). And then I headed inside to enjoy a healthy bedtime snack of celery (a smuggled s'more, sigh).

No comments: