Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wacky Day



Today is Wacky Day at Maddie and Ben's school in honor of Dr. Seuss and Read Across America Week (maybe because Dr. Seuss was a wacky guy??). Wacky Day is the perfect day to show how different two children, born to the same parents, raised in the same home, fed the same foods, read the same books, etc. can be.

Last night, Ben and I picked out his clothes. His goal was to have a shirt with a collar so he could put the collar up. TOTALLY wacky! I was not sure anyone else would notice his wackiness, so I managed, through lots of wardrobe searching, and MANY thumbs-downs from Ben, to assemble the following wacky outfit: polo shirt (collar up!), clip on tie, sweatpants that match his shirt, and two different socks-one white, one blue. He is feeling great this morning, and happy with his outfit!

Then Maddie and I picked out her wacky outfit. If I had let her wear what she picked out (she was looking while Ben and I were in his room looking), this would have been her outfit: floral capri pants (it's 19 degrees out this morning!), black socks worn with flip flops, striped tank top with rainbow shirt underneath, and her Mickey Mouse Christmas ring. I nixed the capri pants and the flip flops and helped her look some more, and she walked out the door this morning wearing pink and brown polka dot pants, a striped shirt worn under an indescribably ugly sweater that her Aunt Ann knitted her (which even I had the sense to not ever make her wear before this), a valentine sock and a Christmas sock, her Mickey Mouse Christmas ring, and a plaid hat. And she left not feeling wacky enough...on the way out the door she's saying, "Mom quick put ponytails all over my head!"

Two very different takes on Wacky Day. I wish I could be at school today to see how the outfits went over.

No comments: