Thursday, October 8, 2009

Chef Maddie

Maddie’s always loved helping me cook. She’s been pouring and mixing since she was two and breaking eggs since she was three. Jack has also picked up on the cooking and baking enthusiasm, and now they fight over who gets to do what job… “I’m measuring the oil!” “I get to add the chocolate chips!”

The pinnacle of any cooking experience, of course, is getting to work the appliance: pushing food processor buttons or the mixer switch is an honor they both “call” at the beginning of a cooking session (“I call the mixer!”)

Recently, though, Maddie has requested independence in the pancake making department. So I posted her next to me, talked her through the recipe, worked on batter pouring and pancake flipping skills, discussed stove safety, and as a bonus, showed her how to make Mickey Mouse and smiley face pancakes.

Then this past Saturday, I handed over my kitchen to her. She assembled ingredients, mixed, poured, flipped, and then did it all again, while I snooped read the paper in the living room.

We both really liked this experience. I am envisioning handing over more to her…Tacos? Quesadillas? Spaghetti? Dishes?

Maybe someday.

The Chef pours her batter.

2009_1003govdick0014

Smiley Face pancakes just make breakfast happier!

2009_1003govdick0017

Next week’s lesson…keeping your workspace clean…

2009_1003govdick0019

No comments: