Friday, March 26, 2010

Chinchillas on the Brain

Jack has become a little obsessed with chinchillas.  It started after a trip to ZooAmerica this week, where he saw and became fascinated with a chinchilla. 
Since then he has begged and begged us to look up chinchilla videos on YouTube.  Did you know there are chinchilla videos on YouTube?  Well, there are.  Stupid YouTube.  We put him off as long as we could.  But you can only pretend to wipe down a counter or clean the dust off the top of the fridge for so long.

He talks about the videos all time.  He tries to lure all of us who have computer access over to the computer so we can enable his ever-worsening chinchilla addiction.  I have been interrupted not once or twice, but three times to check out ChinchillaTube so far in the writing of this post.

Sometimes he puts on chinchilla shows and gets down on the floor to show us the many manic jumps and spins and rolls a chinchilla does to pass the time.

And now he has informed us that the Easter Bunny will be bringing him a chinchilla.  I informed him that, no, in fact, the Easter Bunny would almost certainly not be bringing him a chinchilla, but he totally doesn’t believe me, since I also told him Santa doesn’t usually bring live pets and SURPRISE!  Santa brought a guinea pig.  Stupid Santa.

I am glad he didn’t fall in love with a skunk.  Did you know that people can keep skunks as pets?  Apparently the scent-emitting glands are removed when the skunk is four weeks old…they still raise and point their little tails at their adopted mummies and daddies, but purely for play.  Kind of like when a dog chases a ball or a cat pounces on your toes.  Yes, kind of like that.  Good times.

I’d write more, but the siren call of a chinchilla video and my whiny, yammering ChinchillaBoy are slowly chipping away at my ability to type a coherent sentence. 

I’ll leave you with this lovely poem and memorial I found on a website devoted entirely to dead chinchillas by their former owners who leave them little comments in the hopes that chinchilla heaven has internet access and that their little chinchilla darlings have learned to read (and by the way, it is not lost on me that I, the doting owner of a guinea pig, am making fun of the doting owners of chinchillas):

My first chinchilla, all grey and small
Just like a little fur ball
She was friendly and loved to chew. 
And would always come looking for you
On a morning her breakfast of a few cornflakes.
I'll miss you Misty, but it was time to go
I'll not forget you, not for one mo.

And the memorial:
Maxxy (AKA Fatty Bum Bum) Put to rest Wednesday 23rd September 2009
A very much missed fat man as we called him, Max went through a lot the past 2 weeks having his teeth filed down, then having his eye removed due to abscesses. He was such a strong little boy and went through a lot but on Wednesday morning a trip back to the vets left us with the sad news that the abscess came back, and the infection had too! Max was suffering and not his usual bouncy self that he used to be before all the unfortunate problems started. I have so many memories of the little fellah, and he will never ever be forgotten x
He is missed dearly by all of the family but we know he is a better place x
Sleep tight fatty bum bum, miss you loads!!! - RIP Maxxy! - Love us all!!!!! xxxxx

~

I can promise you, that if the Easter Bunny does bring a chinchilla, we will not be naming him Fatty Bum Bum.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Be strong, Bunny, be strong.

For real, who has sugery on their rodent? One Fatty Bum Bum per house is plenty, thankyouverymuch -- no chichillas for me.

stephanie said...

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! For the love of God woman, no more rodents in the house!!!!!

Allie and Pattie said...

I came over to thank you for the visit and sweet comment, but I stopped to read when I saw the word chinchilla. Some years back, we got one for my older boys. Unfortunately, he met a nasty and untimely end when he managed to scoot into a TINY hole he found in a corner of a closet (very OLD house). After 3 days of following the noises and ripping up 15 floorboards along the way, we finally found him. He had survived by chewing on the insulation which, of course, was as poisonous to him as it would be to us. We stuck to dogs, cats and turtles after that! Off to browse your blog!
xoxo Pattie

Anonymous said...

My vote is "yes" -- let the kids have a chinchilla! I sure hope the Easter Bunny has room in his basket.