Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sneaker FAIL

Ben has needed new sneakers for months.

sneaks 6 

Note the hole in the toe, the worn treads, and the white plastic lining poking through the black cloth lining.

Back in June we finally had a chance to go to the sneaker store and get him a pair. Unfortunately, this is what he picked out:

sneaks 5

                                                        Sorry for blurry photo.

I took a picture of it, because I wanted to show it to Dave.  It didn’t seem very supportive or whatever, in fact, it seemed kind of…decorative, and not very useful.  Kind of like Kim Kardashian.

Here is Ben when I told him we wouldn’t be buying those sneaks today:

sneaks 3

                               “Really?  Whaaat?  But they’re perfect!”

After speaking to several authorities (Dave, Aunt Sue, and our priest), I decided we would not ever be buying those sneakers.  They are Skater Sneakers, apparently, and are, as I suspected, more for looks than actual physical activity.  I gave Ben the option of buying them himself or asking for them for his birthday in August, but we would be buying real, supportive, not gangsta-looking sneakers for him instead. 

A week or two later we returned to the same store, because his own sneakers were just getting worse.  He understood that he needed to pick other sneakers.  But we left the store that day emptyhanded because he just couldn’t find anything he liked and he was very grouchy and I wanted to leave him at the store that day, if truth be told.  We looked at two more stores.  Nada.

A week later, Grandma W. asked what he’d like for his birthday, and he suggested those sneakers.  She agreed!  I was excited, because it meant that now he would more willingly pick out ordinary sneakers, since he knew he’d be getting the sneaks he wanted.  We headed to the sneaker store.

And it was the same freaking story all over again.

sneaks 4sneaks 2

Maddie waiting her turn for Aeropostale.    Also, me trying to take a pic of the two of us, and misjudging the subject location (I have an old phone and can’t see the subject if I’m doing a self-portrait), anywho, doesn’t my eye look cute?  And doesn’t Maddie look ready for a nap?

Then I took a two week hiatus of sneaker shopping and checked myself into Philhaven for a good long rest.

Fast forward to the end of July.  This week.  Our neighbor, Nathan, had new sneakers, and Ben really liked them.  I checked them out and they looked like good, acceptable sneakers to me, so we headed back to the sneaker store where there were a ton of sneakers just like the ones Nathan had…but not exactly the right name (which Ben had burned into his memory). 

Here is Ben searching, and then giving the Fake Nathans a test run.

sneaks 1ben sneaks

The Fake Nathans did not pass the test.  And we left that $%&* store again with no sneakers.

Yesterday, we headed to Dick’s, where Nathan had bought his actual sneakers. 

AND JOY!

sneaks7

                               I used a $15 off coupon, people, stop judging me.

It is a happy, happy day at our house!!!

By the way, if you are thinking either

a) this story sounds somehow familiar or

b)  I’d have just bought him what I wanted, I’m the adult here, who cares what a ten year old thinks!

then read this post.

4 comments:

Tara said...

I hate shoe shopping. Well, shoe shopping for the boys. I love shoe shopping for me and the girls. We're girls and we love any and all shoes. The boys are boys and they drive me INSANE looking for shoes. I staged a revolt last year and now I make John take the boys shoe shopping. Oh, and jeans shopping too. I really hate jean shopping with the boys, so I make John do that also. I'll let you know the next time John takes the boys shoe and jean shopping, and they can swing by your house and pick up Ben too. And us girls can go to Dairy Queen.

Mark said...

Can I go to Dairy Queen too???

Seriously, John(not Jane Doe's(?) husband, has the ugliest shoes I've ever seen. Two months ago, we were in the Salvation Army and he wanted to buy these horrible sneakers. I said, "if you get rid of three pairs of your current sneakers, I'll let you". So he did and at least that was three pairs that we didn't have to move into the new house. Good thing too because 12 year old boy's feet stink.
Also, he never ties them so, you're right, they don't do much for exercising. But then again, all he does is play on his phone anyway so I guess that does matter.
m.

corners of my life said...

Oh my . . .
Somehow the blogroll on my sidebar shows your last update as April 15 so surely I have missed a lot. Looking forward to catching up.

Deb said...

Shoelaces. HA!

We go through this frustration too in our house and our shoe booty seems to last only a month, no matter what stupid brand we buy. I swear my boys spend 24 hours a day rubbing sandpaper on their sneakers, widdling them down just to drive me crazy.

Love the joy of finding The Ones. :)