Friday, June 21, 2013

Welcome, Joey!

I am exhausted!  Do you see my new header up there?  Normally I can whip those together in about 15 minutes, but Sarah at Clover Lane took down her tutorial on how to make one and I had to remember how to do it all by myself.  Then I decided to challenge myself and also downloaded the free yellow dotted background, and then on top of everything else, when I went to find my new background, my computer wouldn’t let me into most of my photo files.  I had to eventually go out of the program, copy the new header, paste it into one of the files my stupid computer was allowing me to see, and then apply it to my blog.  An hour and a half of my life I’ll never get back.  You people had better tell me how much you like my new header the next time you see me. 

IMG_5010Anyway, after the Great Fish Massacre back in March we went shopping for new fish (over Easter break).  Jack picked out three new, identical fish (because the bossy salesperson at That Fish Place was very picky about how her 99 cent fish spent their days and seriously wouldn’t let us buy what we wanted…she said these fish needed buddies and that since we had just cleaned out and refilled our tank, the fish poop pH needed to build up again, and…I don’t know…a whole bunch of other stuff that basically boiled down to us never going to That Fish Place again.) (And I realize that just makes me sound like a bad fish parent who doesn’t care about the well being of my 99 cent fish, but WHATEVS).

So Jack got the three identical fish whom he named Larry, Moe, and Curly.  And then he promptly forgot about them.  They just weren’t special in his heart the way Mr. Fishy Wishy, Deb, Christopher and  friends were, mainly because they are all tiny and look alike. 

This week, though, I told him we could go to Wal-Mart and get a sucker fish so the algae doesn’t start creeping up on our tank again.  I was hoping that we wouldn’t pick out a new fish with a disease like that troublemaking hussy, Sierra, introduced to our tank back in March.

So we went, Jack picked out a very nice fish which we brought home and added to our tank with Larry, Moe, and Curly.  On our drive home, I asked Jack what he was going to name him.  He said he didn’t know, but that he was “making” him be a boy.  I suggested “Abbott” or “Costello” in keeping with the old time comedian theme. 

He thought about it for a second, then yelled out, “Joey!”

“Oh, okay,”  I told him.  “Joey’s a nice name too.”

“Mom!  It’s perfect!  Because Joey is a comedian on Full House and also that show’s from a really long  time ago, just like Larry, Moe, and Curly!”  Which made me feel super old, because I don’t think Full House is from that long ago, and because my parents probably didn’t think Larry, Moe and Curly were from so long ago either.

Anyway, Joey is installed in our tank and is doing just fine.  Larry Moe and Curly all seem to stay to themselves though, and don’t really seem to have welcomed their new friend with open…fins.  They mostly swim around the top of the tank while Joey hangs around at the bottom.  I can’t help but think this is the Bossy That Fish Place Salesperson’s fault.  If I had been allowed to purchase different (though compatible) fish they would have all learned a lesson in tolerance and friend-making and I can’t help but think the atmosphere in the tank would have been kinder and more welcoming to our Pal Joey.

IMG_0435

Keep your fishy chin up, Joey!  We love you!

No comments: