Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hersheypark Exhausted

We went to Hersheypark yesterday.  Back when the kids were little, we used to have season passes to Hersheypark.  The best thing about that was that you could go to HP for a couple of hours, ride a few rides, and come home.  Unfortunately, you don’t have that luxury when you go once a summer.

We actually started out our day the night before, since Hersheypark let’s you “preview” the park for free the night before you plan to use your tickets.  By the way, I got discount tickets through the Boy Scout website.  Here’s the link, if you’re interested, it’s the cheapest price I found, and the Boy Scouts make $5 on each ticket sold.

Although Jack has recently started liking roller coasters (and he rode every one at HP several times that he was permitted to ride), he’s still not tall enough for SkyRush, Great Bear, Fahrenheit, etc.  So much of the day, Maddie and Ben rode those coasters while Jack and I did the tamer rides (although we rode that dang Wild Mouse five times, ugh, and I’m not calling that sucker tame).  Here are some shots of Jack having fun with me:

DSCF2342

DSCF2368

DSCF2376DSCF2377

IMG_5601

Every now and then I got a glimpse or two of Maddie and Ben on the bigger coasters:

DSCF2372

(third car from the front)

DSCF2355

We often met up though and did things all together, mostly because Maddie needed a break.  Ben would have ridden the coasters all day!  He’s a maniac!

DSCF2359

IMG_5599IMG_5600

IMG_5603IMG_5597

IMG_5595IMG_5604

Our evening ended with a crazy thunderstorm that seemed to blow in out of nowhere!  We were all the way at the end of the park where all three kids, minus me who needed a doggone break from the action, were getting themselves on the Wild Cat.  I was enjoying sitting quietly on a bench at the time.  Since it was about 9:15 p.m., things had really slowed down, and the kids were basically riding the Wild Cat over and over and over again (including Jack).  Anyway, they finally joined me on the bench, disappointed that they had been shooed off the ride because the person in charge said a storm was coming.  I checked the radar on my phone, and sure enough, it looked like a doozy was on its way (however, at that point, the night seemed calm and lovely).

We started to walk toward the exit.  By the time we got to The Claw, the wind started to roar.  By the time we got to Milton Hershey’s fountain, it started to pour and thunder and lightning like crazy!  The last photo above is us taking shelter in a shop.  Jack HATES thunderstorms and was really freaking out (the reason he’s clutching the store’s stuffed animal).  After about 10 minutes, I looked outside and decided it would be okay to keep going.  Unfortunately, my judgment was poor, probably clouded by my aching feet and thoughts of my soft, cushy bed waiting for me at home.  We ran the rest of the way to the tram in pouring rain and occasional thunder and lightning.  Luckily we were parked near the tram stop, and our story does not end with an untimely electrocution.

All told, we spent about 13 hours at Hersheypark.  We truly had a fabulous day.  And I’m so glad I don’t have to do it all again until next year.

2 comments:

Crickit said...

Hi There! Long time no visit! Your kids are really growing up. :)

It looks like a good time was had by all! Hope you continue making fun, fun memories this summer! :)

Tara said...

You're such a brave and fun Mom! I really dislike going to Hershey Park, as there are too many people and too many rides I don't go on. I only go on the train and the monorail. Those swings scare the crap out of me, and I am super impressed that you 1. went on them 2. kept your eyes open 3. were composed enough to snap a picture! Sounds like your kids had a wonderful time with their fun Mom and I'm so glad you didn't get struck by lightning!