Saturday, September 7, 2013

Labor Day Weekend

On the Friday of Labor Day weekend, the kids had off from school, but I spent a good 6-7 hours in school just trying to get caught up with everything.  When I got home around 3:00, Jack was antsy with a capital A.  I asked him if he wanted to take a trip to one of his favorite places:  the Quittie Park. 

Of course his stinky big brother and sister were not interested, so we went alone. 

IMG_6107

First Jack took off his shoes and waded in around the edge of the creek where he found a little clam…he even saw it slide back into its shell when he picked it up!

IMG_0631

Then we walked down the path next to the creek where the rapids are.  Jack really wanted to cross the rapids on some rocks and go to a little peninsula that juts out from the other side.  I said he could try it, and about 6 feet in, he hit a deep spot and went down to his belly into the water!  After that, I told him to just have fun and not worry about his clothes…he really couldn’t get any wetter!

Working his way across…

IMG_6109

He made it!  (The rapids actually made his crossing pretty tricky.)

IMG_6108

He played over there for about 10 minutes before working his way back to me.  We continued on our walk to a path I don’t usually take (because I like to stay next to the creek, away from the deep of the woods which I can only assume is full of raccoons, spiders, snakes, skunks, and rabid chipmunks.)

We went up these steps, which I had never seen before, and they gave me hope that we’d be coming into civilization soon, but right when Jack got to the top, he yelled, “I know where we are!  We’re where Uncle Allan fell off the cliff!”

Going up…                                                                                                                           Looking down…

IMG_0629 IMG_0628

Let me tell you, I hightailed it up there fast, because the story is that Dave and his brother (Allan) and sister (Sue) were playing in that area (Allan told us last weekend they were trying to build a fort on the side of the cliff) when Allan fell down the cliff.  Sue and Dave thought he must be dead and I think they cried, both for their dead brother and for themselves having to tell their mother.  Anyway…he was fine.

See?

capemay 9

Jack and I soon headed out of the Quittie Woods and visited with Grandma and Papa for a little bit, since they’re lucky enough to have the Quittie Woods just a teeny bit away from their backyard.

On Saturday, we went swimming at the Palmyra Pool with Jack’s scout pack, but I’ve already shared most of those pictures in my Instagram August post.  On Sunday, we joined Dave’s family at a Lancaster Barnstormer’s game (hosted by the miraculously alive Uncle Allan who scored us a suite thanks to some of his parishioners, I believe).  We had a fabulous time at the game.  It was so cool having our own suite.  We even got special VIP parking and a boatload of food brought to our suite! 

IMG_6155IMG_6153

IMG_6154IMG_6110

                                                                                                                                               Howdy from Herbie, by the way.

Then on Labor Day, Dave suggested a bike ride around Memorial Lake.  We had such a great time!

IMG_6210IMG_6213

IMG_6215IMG_6212

IMG_6188IMG_6209

Then we came home and did yard work.  Boo.

And then we had to go back to school the next day.  Boo hoo.

But on the bright side of things, we harvested Jack’s watermelon and it weighed 16.6 pounds, and was delicious!

IMG_6086

1 comment:

corners of my life said...

You are so lucky to have a young'n to play with.

Young'n = one that is young in age and mentality.