Sunday, September 22, 2013

Playgroup (Almost) All Grown Up

Back when Maddie was a toddler and Ben was a baby, a few friends and I started up a playgroup.  It rotated every week between all our houses, and let me tell you, I looked forward to play group so much because I knew it was an hour and a half of guaranteed grown up talk time.  I looked forward to so few things in those days, because there really wasn’t much to look forward to.  I liked grocery shopping because it was something to do (even though shopping with a toddler and a baby was decidedly not fun).  I took lots of walks, which were also frustrating because someone was always hungry or throwing their socks out of the stroller or starting to cry, but at least it broke up the very long and lonely day.

This morning I was chatting with a few other moms between a confirmation meeting and mass when I realized that much of our original playgroup was all standing right there!  So I made all of the now teenagers stand together and smile.  And after they all rolled their eyes, they did.

Here’s the BEFORE (probably about 2003:

IMG_6342

l-r:  Caroline, Brady, Maddie, Erin, Ben, (Jake-not shown below), (Mason-not shown below), and Hannah.

And the NOW:

IMG_6343

                l-r:  Erin, Caroline, Maddie, Hannah, Brady, and Ben.

Three eighth graders and three 6th graders!  I have a feeling if we put all these kids together on a swing set and wagon nowadays they’d all pull out their electronics and ignore each other.   

Have a great week!

1 comment:

corners of my life said...

Although my playgroup days were 20 years ago I still have fond memories of those gatherings (especially the apple fritters and coffee)