Monday, January 4, 2010

Time Flies

Ten years ago today, I became a mom.
scan0001
She was not an easy delivery.  In fact, it came down to about 24 hours of labor and two and a half hours of pushing. 

Which I completely forgot all about the minute she squirmed and screamed her way into my arms.  Utter, hopeless, bottomless, warm and fuzzy, sweet and tender, huge and monstrous love.

She stopped breathing a couple of hours after she was born.  Her lips turned blue and while I banged on the nurse button screaming, “My baby’s not breathing!”,  I experienced the worst thirty seconds of my life up until that moment.  The nurse arrived and took care of her and brushed it off as something that happens sometimes, but that moment turned me into a bit of a hovering mom. 

When we drove her home from the hospital, we passed a school bus and I started to cry, thinking about how I was going to have to put her on one of those someday, all alone, without me.

<sob>

Well, she grew.
scan0003
And grew.
M tongue 2
And grew.
103_0357
She broke my heart this day:112_1280
I held it together until I got back to the house, and then I bawled.

I keep telling her to stop growing.  She’s getting too big.  Soon she’s not going to fit on my lap.
137_3740
When did she get so big?  2009_1026pumpkincarving0015
In another decade she’ll be twenty.

I cannot even begin to imagine her in college, rolling her eyes at her mother who is gripping her arm on the way out of the dorm room and has to be forced into the car for the trip home. 

My girl, far away, all alone, without me. 

She’s going to break my heart again someday, I just know it.  But that’s a decade away.  She’s mine for ten more years. 

Just mine.
121_2150

7 comments:

stephanie said...

What a cutie! I know exactly how you feel!!!!

Wendy said...

Why does it go so fast? I love the picture of the two of you together!!

Beth said...

Thanks, guys! I'm so thrilled the comment section finally works!

Unknown said...

Beth, you made me cry! I feel the same way...Will turns 5 on Thursday & I can hardly swallow when I think about him going on a school bus to Kindergarten next year. I know I will be a complete mess that day :(

Beth said...

Angela, Happy birthday to Will! It's funny, Maddie getting on the school bus made me cry, Ben getting on made me cheer (shh, don't tell)and I know I'm going to sob again for my baby. I'll be thinking of you next Sept. when I put Jack on the bus! And thanks for becoming a follower!

Unknown said...

Thanks Beth, for the birthday wishes for Will! He's sooooo happy he's 5 & I'm sooooo sad! I love reading blogs, so of course I became a follower! The chx corn soup sounds yummy & is making me hungry for an almost midnight snack, since it is 11:15 p.m. Hope Maddie feels better soon!

Marcia@Frugalhomekeeping said...

What a sweet post! As the mother of two 20-somethings and a 15-year-old I could really appreciate the "leaving the child at the college dorm part"! Been there-done that twice...and one more time to go! Snuggle those little ones while you can!