Friday, January 15, 2010

The Up-Side of Unemployment

My birthday was on Tuesday, and I expected it to pass with about as much fanfare as usual (coming in ahead of a new underwear purchase but slightly behind the bi-monthly cleaning of the fridge in excitement).

However, I didn’t take into consideration that my unemployed husband was bored and in need of a challenge.  When, earlier, he had asked me what kind of cake I wanted, I suggested he purchase a 6 pack of cupcakes from Walmart  …portion control yet butter-creamy goodness all in one little package, perfect for the man who knows how to grill but not bake.

Instead, he did some thinking, remembered my favorite dessert EVER was creme brulee, and decided to make me some. 

Apparently you can learn to make creme brulee by watching YouTube videos.  Who knew?  Apparently you can also caramelize the top of the creme brulee with a blowtorch from your garage.

Huh!  I didn’t know it either!

2010_0112cremebrulee0003

  And look at the result!

2010_0112cremebrulee0010

  Just look at it!2010_0112cremebrulee0011

Absolutely perfect.  Absolutely delicious.  He really made my day.

In a side note,  Maddie included her allowance ($2) in with the card she made me.   This is hugely generous, as she is saving up for a big Lego purchase right now.  The pain it must have given her to lick that envelope shut makes my heart ache with gratitude.

She asked me with complete seriousness what I thought I might do with the money.  While I quickly searched my brain thinking of a fun purchase to tell her (Diet Coke in the Walmart checkout line?  Two packs of gum, maybe?) she jumped in with a suggestion.

“You know, mom, maybe you want to save it up and eventually you can buy something really cool.”  Generous and smart.  Just like her daddy. 

What a great birthday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog Beth!! Beautiful pictures and beautifully written. I can spend hours jumping blogs. Yours will be one of my favorites!

Rauna

Hannah said...

Aaahhh Beth! Your birthday makes me so happy - sounds like a great day and a GREAT family. Happy belated!

Deb said...

Oh, hooray ... $2! THAT is huge!!! I love it. And I'm also thrilled that he didn't burn off his hand with that torch.

Kristine said...

I'm just as impressed that you clean out your fridge bi-monthly!