Friday, September 10, 2010

Or You Could Just Flush ‘Em

Silly Bandz made me really mad.  Not just because I was constantly redirecting students from their Silly Bandz back to the lesson and not just because I am still finding them all over my house, underfoot, in the cupboards, stuffed in sock drawers, hiding under sofa cushions, and  in my dryer’s lint collector, but because I didn’t think of it first. 

2010_0910sillybandz0005

It’s kind of how I felt when the kids were toddlers and they loved those Baby Einstein videos and I sat there kicking myself that I didn’t think to film videos of toys then put it to some lovely Mozart tune, sell it to Disney and consequently order my brand new convertible Mercedes which I’d use to drive away occasionally, leaving the kids behind with their brand-new nanny to enjoy their little videos.

If you’re unfamiliar with Silly Bandz, they are small rubber bands that come in the shape of something  until your child puts it on his wrist, which is when it just becomes a plain old bracelet.  Cost- $4.95 for 24.

2010_0910sillybandz0006

The fad swept through our school district last spring.  Kids wore so many some complained of losing feeling in their fingers.  Some 2010_0910sillybandz0007 were more rare than others and children made deals and trades and laid their collections out on the playground to admire/flaunt.  They became so hard to get that stores put signs in their windows indicating their next delivery day and parents actually paid big bucks to the Silly Bandz website to have them delivered.

The fad jumped the shark right around the time Wal-Mart started selling them for $1.  And now a bunch of dejected, rejected Silly Bandz are clogging my sinks and decorating my carpets.  So what can you do with all those Silly Bandz?  I have come up with some helpful ideas for you!

1.  Glue a bunch of them together and use them as either shoulder pads or bra fillers!

2010_0910sillybandz0016

2.  Toe rings/Earrings!

2010_0910sillybandz0008 2010_0910sillybandz0014

3.  Utensil organizer!

2010_0910sillybandz0024

4.  Use it to keep that toilet paper roll from coming unraveled!

2010_0910sillybandz0010

5.  Color coordinate your canned goods (yellow for vegetables, red for fruit, etc.)!

2010_0910sillybandz0011

6.  Use your imagination!  The sky’s the limit!  Silly Bandz can be anything you want them to be (refer to title)!

6 comments:

Maria M. Boyer said...

OMG, you are TOO FUNNY! Will still be laughing in my sleep tonight, Beth. Thanks for the post. (p.s. My word verification is "mytos." My toes?? Obviously a throwback to your toe rings.)

Crickit said...

My kids are all young adults so I have not purchased any of these little bands,but I have seen them in the stores. I just LOVE what you have done with them...especially the shoulder pads and bra fillers! Careful you may start a new trend with young girls with training bras! Cute!

Deb said...

Oh good Lord in Heaven. My husband came a'runnin when I was sorting out loud and joined in the fun. He votes for the bra fillers, even though, sadly, it looks like I'm already stuffing them in my underwear.

Jen said...

you're so creative!!! and funny

Wendy said...

Beth,
You are too funny! If you need some more for organinzing your can, I can spare a few! Thanks for always bringing a smile to my morning :)
Wendy

corners of my life said...

It is a good thing you didn't invent Baby Einstein Videos. In one study, children who watched them had a lower vocabulary level than children who did not watch them. Maybe someone talked more to those children?!