Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Big Snow

The snow started shortly before the end of school on Friday, then continued all evening, all night long, and all morning, until it finally slowed to a halt around lunchtime on Saturday.

Here was the view at bedtime (that funny orange glow is not the sunset, but the streetlamp behind the house):

2010_0206bigsnow0003

And here was the same view the next morning:

2010_0206bigsnow0005

We’re thinking it’s a good 18 inches deep, with much more in places that drifted!  Woo hoo!  The kids were chomping at the bit to go outside.

And so, around 9 a.m. , out they went for Round 1:

2010_0206bigsnow0015

2010_0206bigsnow00202010_0206bigsnow0028 They trooped back inside (for the first hot chocolate of the day) after about five very cold minutes of trudging around the backyard. 

~

Round 2—The kids head out to climb on the snowpile left in our front yard by our friendly snowplow drivers:

2010_0206bigsnow0040

Jack jumps from the top of the pile and lands on his face (he told me later he thought it would be softer):

2010_0206bigsnow0050

He then jumps up and runs for the house:

2010_0206bigsnow0055

And this is what I found when I caught up:

2010_0206bigsnow0057

“Momma, my face is cold!  Please put down the camera and get me undressed!”

2010_0206bigsnow0056

Round 2 lasted about 6 minutes for my chilly baby.

~

Round 3-- Dave is finished snowblowing and gets the boys going with a snowball fight:

2010_0206bigsnow0058

2010_0206bigsnow0069

2010_0206bigsnow0079

I stayed on the front porch with my camera, adhering to my personal motto, “When there is snow, Daddy will go; when there is sun, Mom is the one”.  I must tell you that my camera clicking finger got mighty numb while I was taking pictures…it wasn’t a picnic on that porch, people.

Look what my little angel brought up to show me!

2010_0206bigsnow0086

Hey!

2010_0206bigsnow0087

Traitor!  No dessert for you tonight, mister!

And don’t think I can’t see you laughing at your momma over there, Benjamin!

2010_0206bigsnow0092

Maddie and Ben are each now at neighbor’s houses and Jack is bugging me to get him in his snow gear for Round 4.  The sun is shining, and the view from the window is crisp and snowy-clean and way too cold looking for me. 

Out goes Jack by his lonesome.  I’ll have his hot chocolate ready for him when he comes back inside…I’m expecting him in any minute now.

4 comments:

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello Beth, I've just strolled in for my first visit. It looked like everyone had absolute fun time.
We only had one day of light snow and it was melted by morning. Not even enough to make a small snow ball.
Poor Jack, sometimes those fluffy piles are not as soft as you'd think. Maybe he might enjoy making a little snow ice cream out of those fluffy snow piles instead.

I'll be by again.
Sweet wishes,
Sara

stephanie said...

I love the motto, that is definitely mine too!! Although two of my neighbor ladies and I got in a little snowball fight yesterday and ended up throwing each other down and sitting on each other. That was kind of fun, for about 5 minutes!

Deb said...

Poor Jack. But he must think that airborne shot is totally cool ... now that he's recovered. (I agree, it looks like it should be much less painful.)

Finally PA is doing what PA is supposed to do in winter -- LOTS OF SNOW.

Love love love your photos.

Meow Mix said...

I'm going to wish for more snow so that the kids can keep having lots of wintery fun! Looks like they're having a blast! I will put in a special request that it's a bit softer and fluffier next time around.