Thursday, April 1, 2010

Feeling Fool From Supper

I try to fool the kids a little bit every April Fool’s Day.  This year I snuck some plastic bugs into their school lunches, but they came home unimpressed.  Hmph.

But that’s okay, because I had another trick on the back burner, so to speak:  meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato frosting and lemon jello lemonade.

First, I told them we were having cupcakes for supper to celebrate the first night of Easter break.  Excitement!  Doubt.  Really??!!   Could she have?  Oh my gosh!  She did!

2010_0401aprfool-candyfldtrp0052

2010_0401aprfool-candyfldtrp0047 2010_0401aprfool-candyfldtrp0048

Maddie and Jack were thrilled…then…they got the joke and thought mom was pretty funny.

But Ben…

2010_0401aprfool-candyfldtrp0050

…was really really really really really disappointed with meatloaf cupcakes instead of the real thing.  REALLY sad.  Just look at that face!  I just want to run over to the stove and whip him up a batch of carrot cake cupcakes.

Well, I told them I had known they’d be disappointed with the cupcakes so I had made them fresh squeezed lemonade…

2010_0401aprfool-candyfldtrp0053

2010_0401aprfool-candyfldtrp0054

All was forgiven, and mom is now the reigning Queen of Fools.

Wait, that doesn’t sound as good as I thought it would…

3 comments:

stephanie said...

Awesome job Beth! I've made those cupcakes before too! So fun!

Deb said...

I never have heard of those cupcakes, and it is the BEST idea. Even not just for April Fools. How long does one cook a meatloaf cupcake? That is awesome. (I just want to come hug Ben, though. Poor little dude.)

I hate April Fools, actually. Mason came in while I was in the shower (of course, when else would he come in?) and told me the dog ate his hamster. He was really pouring on the drama so I thought it was true -- because I SUCK at April Fool's.

Wendy said...

Beth, This is awesome! I love Maddie's smile in that last picture!
Wendy