Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Homemade PopTarts

This may be my lamest recipe ever.

Right now homemade PopTarts are going around on Pinterest (do you see my new Pinterest button over there on the right?)  I thought they looked so cute!  I liked the idea of making PopTarts without all the preservatives and stuff that make up the 25 ingredient list on the box. Also, since my kids do like PopTarts I figured they would think I was awesome for making some homemade ones!

But after I made these, I thought, “This may be the lamest thing I’ve ever made for them besides a bowl of cereal.”  Because basically, I realized that PopTarts are just jam pies with sprinkles.

One recipe floating around called for making a homemade crust.  Ha!  That was a knee slapper!  I went out and bought me a box of Pillsbury pie crusts.

Then I cut one into a square:

DSCF8190

And then I cut that into a bunch of rectangles and put some pastry filling on half of them (the pastry filling was leftover from some thumbprint cookies I made at Christmas, but you can use any jam):

DSCF8196DSCF8198

Then I put another rectangle on each of those and sealed them around the edges with a fork:

DSCF8207

Bake those babies in a 425 degree oven for 7-8 minutes.  While they’re baking, make a glaze for them using powdered sugar (about a 1/2 cup), a drizzle of milk, and a 1/4 t. of vanilla.  It should be about the consistency of syrup.  That’s not a lot of milk!  Maybe only a few tablespoons!  Add your food coloring.  I decided to make mine pink, but I used a bit too much food coloring and they look almost radioactive. Less is more, people.

DSCF8215

Drizzle on the glaze and give it a sprinkle of sprinkles.  I think they look awful, but Maddie and Jack devoured them.   Ben (my pickiest eater) took one look at them, wrinkled his nose slightly, and said, “I think I’ll just get one out of the box.”  And then he did.

I tried taking pictures of Maddie and Jack eating them, but they were not cooperating.  Do they not know I have a blog to write?  I said, “Try to look like you’re enjoying them!”  And this is what I got:

DSCF8228

She’s really going to regret that photo someday.

DSCF8230

This was the best he could do?  After I slaved away in the kitchen on these PopTarts for 4 whole minutes?  Hmph.

I think this would be a fun recipe to do with your children.  But maybe I’ll just stick with pancakes on Saturday morning from now on.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Did you seriously just make homemade poptarts? That seems like an awful lot of effort for a poptart. And what's this fruit stuff? Throw a couple bars of chocolate in the middle of those tarts and slather 'em up with two cans of icing and you've got my attention. Or maybe I'll just have one of Ben's.

Tara said...

This does sound like fun to make with the girls! Even better, I could tell John to make the recipe with the girls this weekend, while I stay in bed and read a book.

corners of my life said...

I am a bit curious about the large black bear lounging on your sofa. I don't suppose he got any poptarts . . .

Jemsmom said...

I am with Dee b, but I think it would good with nutella too! Think of all the preservatives you saved your children... well at least two of them!