Friday, February 17, 2012

This Week

I can’t believe I haven’t blogged since last week!  There just hasn’t been much to say, the weather’s all Februaryish and we’ve been all cooped up with no place to go, except the usual boring old destinations, and I’ve been waiting for those Girl Scout cookies I ordered to appear so I can make them disappear, and I have a chest cold.  I really am a sad, miserable, boring person.

What?  You’re still reading?  You must be desperate.

Let me recap the week for you.

I subbed three times last week in our elementary school’s library, which, though awesome, is where I’m pretty sure I picked up my cold, as I checked in and shelved the books of well over 250 germ-ridden kids in those days.  I got to have Ben in one of my library classes, which was really nice!  I’ve never subbed for one of my kids before.  He told me ahead of time not to hug him or embarrass him.  I don’t think I did either of those things, but I did call him Benjy at one point, and I heard a girl say, “Did she just call you Benjy?” and I thought quick and said, “No!  I said, ‘Ben, see.’”  No one can beat me in the quick retort arena.  Jack walked by the library with his class a few times and waved like crazy and blew kisses at me.  He would have been totally cool with a hug and a nickname, I tell you.

I ate Mexican food three times this week!  The first time was with Dave’s extended family, the second time was lunch with Dave on Valentine’s Day, and the third time was with friends.  I feel like I really am picking up on the culture and language of our Mexican neighbors as a result.  I frequently find myself saying “Si” instead of yes, I’ve taken to wearing a sombrero around the house for fun, and I’ve been trying to wrap everything in tortillas and cover it all with cheese, which has generally worked surprisingly well, except maybe with Lucky Charms and pickles.

Dave and I shared a romantic Valentine’s evening at Jack’s Tiger Scout meeting, where we were in charge of the proceedings; our assigned theme was “The Food Pyramid”.  The unfortunate juxtaposition of my lovingly prepared valentine meal for my family (lasagna, by the way---which I had planned to cut into heart shapes with a cookie cutter, but didn’t because I just didn’t have time) and the Tiger Scout meeting, resulted in me yelling, “Eat! Eat!  What is with you pokey people?” at the children more than once, then throwing the brownie covered Oreos I had baked and painstakingly drizzled pink chocolate hearts onto earlier in the day, at them, and then hustling out the door.  Nice.  Very loving.

Maddie had the little plastic things in her braces changed at her ortho appointment this week.  She chose green because St. Patrick’s Day is the next holiday, and now every time she smiles I have to stop myself from telling her she has lettuce caught in her braces.

I’m hosting neighborhood bunko here tonight, so as you can imagine, I am cleaning the house like a crazy woman and getting all of my food ready, and I will be barking at the children to use the upstairs bathrooms only after school so there are no surprises in the downstairs toilet or on that toilet seat come 7 p.m.  I’m trying two new Pinterest recipes, Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies and Caramel Topped Shortbread.  The brownie covered Oreos I made on Valentine’s Day were not a hit.  They came out a little dry and hard, so I’m hoping Pinterest doesn’t let me down again.

Can you see now why I haven’t really blogged much this week?  And aren’t you glad I didn’t blog much this week?

BUNKO%20BABE_thumb

photo source                       Someday, I’mma get me one a these.

2 comments:

corners of my life said...

15 years from now when someone asks you something about these busy, busy years and you don't have a clue - - just remember how busy you were.

Crickit said...

Thanks for the recap, you were missed!

You have been busy and I remember the days of having my kids use the other bathroom because I was expecting company (I have two boys also).

Hope you are feeling better lately! :)