Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pumpkins, Apples, and Butts…Oh My!

Jack finally broke me down after weeks of begging to go pick out our pumpkins, so last Thursday when Maddie’s swim practice was cancelled and we found ourselves with a free (yes, free!) evening, we headed to the…

pumpkin patch

Actually, we only looked at the Pumpkin Patch.  We picked ours out from the stand like civilized people.   (We actually walked back to the PYO part, but decided it looked too mosquito-y --I swear, we have all been bitten so much this year-- that we chickened out and headed back to the stand).

pumpkin patch 4

First though, we took time out for a brief photo session:

pumpkin patch 3

Then we started looking around and we found a gorgeous selection of gourds, baby pumpkins, and big pumpkins.  And then, joy of joys, Jack found a pumpkin with a butt!

pumpkin patch 2

And then he put it down somewhere and we couldn’t find it and we were totally heartbroken to leave that place without our pumpkin butt.  If you go to Risser Marvel on 322, look for it.  We will let you have it and will only be a little indignant when you become the envy of all of your neighbors.

On Saturday we headed out to Sycamore Springs for some apple picking.  I only wanted to make some applesauce, but Maddie’s friend Kelsey came along and her mom asked us to pick 8 Jonagolds for an apple pie.  So we also picked 8 more for us.  And then somehow we ended up with 33 pounds of apples.  I really just don’t know how it happened.

apple 3

We picked Crispins and Golden Delicious for eating out of hand, Empires for the applesauce, and Jonagolds for the pies.  And while we were picking, Jack found two apples growing together like twins.  They were not conjoined twins, but they were so close together, they looked like…

apple

                                                                       That’s right.  Another butt. 

When exactly do boys emerge from the butt joke stage?  I’m thinking it may be never, based on the other boys/men I know. 

We headed on home and made our applesauce, though not our pie yet, and the applesauce is already gone!  I’m thinking I may make another batch from some of our apples previously planned for plain old eating, we liked it so much.  I noticed that my applesauce recipe is not in the Recipe sidebar (I guess I never linked it and frankly I just don’t feel like adding it right now) so here is the link to my applesauce post, if you’re interested.

 

apple2

Now our pumpkins are on the porch, and our apples are in our bellies, and our butts are…well, mostly sitting down (mine) or farting (Herbie’s…everyone blames him for the occasional odd toot around here.)

herbie 2

                                                                       I swear it wasn’t me!

2 comments:

Tara said...

I love Risser Marvel. But I won't be going this year because I am picking pumpkins in my own pumpkin patch. Of course, we don't have any butt-shaped pumpkins, so maybe I should go to Risser Marvel! I was resisting fall but gave in today and got out my Halloween decorations. Now Fall may proceed.

PS I'll be over tomorrow for some applesauce.

Deb said...

Nice asses.

Also, never.