Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sick Day

Jack stayed home from school on Monday.  He was very sick.

DSCF1244

Ahem

DSCF1181

He had started a cold on Saturday, which didn’t seem so bad, but he woke up congested and froggy on Monday morning, so I loaded him up with Tylenol and some cold medicine and hoped he’d make it.

DSCF1205

I drove both boys to school because it was band day and Ben’s drum weighs as much as he does, and as Ben was getting out of the car, Jack told me his stomach felt sick.  Jack really likes school and didn’t want to miss any, so I knew he wasn’t faking it.  Back home we went.

DSCF1206

He had a quiet morning, mostly playing cars and watching Lab Rats (ugh) and Gravity Falls (yay!).

DSCF1224

But after lunch he was feeling antsy.  First we read some more chapters in his bedtime book.  Then we did some of his Wolf Scout badge jobs (learning to f0ld a US flag, learning about the PA state flag, etc.) and then I forced him suggested he do some addition facts on the computer.

DSCF1235

But then I let him outside.  It was a gorgeous day!  He came inside to get me and said, “Mom, come here!  And bring your camera!”  He just wanted me to photograph his bubble blowing.  Which I clearly did.

At one point he condemned the Bubble Kit because it contained a pipe, which he thought wasn’t such a good thing to give kids.  Then, he realized the kit also came with a “cigar” and a “cigarette” bubble blower too.

And just like that, he gave in to the pressure from the Bubble Company, and he became a smoker, people.

DSCF1213DSCF1248

DSCF1246

And little did I know it, but Dave was taking his own picture while I was taking mine.

bubbles

Honestly, I was thrilled!  I don’t like being photographed, but I’ve always wanted a picture of me taking pictures!

Then we went to Wal-Mart, and made supper and ate it, and then I went to the middle school Back-to-School night, after which I came home to both boys jumping up and down at me in the garage.  I was all, “Wow!  They really missed me!” but they were all “Maddie just spilled the fruit salad all over the floor!”

It’s just so awesome to tattle an outrageous act like that.

And may I add, that I had just cut up that fruit that was all over the fridge and floor (she was putting it away at the time) and that I had just majorly cleaned out that fridge and washed the floor the weekend before.  My mom always said, the best way to get someone to spill something is to wash the floor, and darnit, she has been proven correct so many times around here.  Right there is the reason I don’t wash the floor all that much.

DSCF1209

And then it was bedtime, and Jack’s sick day came to an end.  He was back in school the next day and things went back to normal. 

(Although, we’re still finding sticky spots when we walk near the fridge, but we are as back to near normal as possible.)

2 comments:

Tara said...

Yeah! for sick days that end up just being sick mornings, freeing up the rest of the day for bubble-blowing and picture taking! I love the picture of you taking a picture too. I want more pictures taken of me, but none that I want to pose for, smile for, or look directly into the camera for. Basically, what I want are some excellent candid shots of me. You have Dave, I need some paparazzi.

Deb said...

So, did you eat the fruit off the floor? We would have. And we most certainly would not have just cleaned the floor.

Nice picture, hottie.

Also nice ... getting your kids hooked on smoking at an early age. You've got to start early if you're going to overcome all the anti-smoking mind control they hear in school.