Saturday, January 12, 2013

I’ve Got an Abbey on My Back

I am hooked, people.  I have an addiction that can only be eased with more and more and more of the good stuff.  Or should I say the propah stuff.

Back when the rest of the world started watching Downton Abbey back in 2010, I thought, “Hmmm.  That sounds like something I’d really like. Too bad I don’t watch t.v.”  And then last year I heard of more and more people talking about it and I thought, “Hmmm. That really sound like something I’d like.  Too bad I fall asleep at 9:30 pm.”

And then on Facebook last week at some point, three or 4 people listed “Downton Abbey!”  as their status update and I just knew a new season was underway, and I also just knew I wanted in this time.  So thanks to my in-laws who got Jack Amazon Prime for Christmas to go with his Kindle, I have also been able to watch Downton Abbey-Season 1 on my iPad, for free, and let me tell you, my bathrooms are hairy and sticky, and my books have gone unread, and I’m ignoring my sad and bedraggled family, because whenever I get a chance, I stick my earbuds in and watch an episode! I. Love. It.  I can’t believe I’ve waited this long!

Oh my gosh, Maggie Smith!

I live for her zingers. 

I love the clothing!  I love the hats!  I love the accents!  I love the manners!  I love everything about it! Do you watch it?  You have to watch it!

I hate O’Brien and I hate Thomas and I want Mr. Bates and Anna to get together and one of the biggest disappointments I can say I’ve had this week is the fact that when I was looking up those photos above to copy and paste for you (sorry no photo credits, since only, like, 12 of you read me anymore, I’m not taking the time to do it), I saw a spoiler!  I know how Mary ends up and although I’m thrilled, I’M TOTES ANNOYED THAT I KNOW IT AHEAD OF TIME.  And to make matters worse I saw another spoiler regarding Matthew that is killing me.  So I’m not going to get you any more pictures.  Go google them yourselves, you lazy muckabouts.

So there you have it, in a nutshell, what I’ve been up to in my spare time this week. 

That, and polishing my accent and manners:

~“Maddie, dahling, do fetch me a cup of tea and a biscuit. That’s the ticket, dahling.”

~“Whe-ah is my maid when it is evah so late?  Howevah will I put on my frocks without her assistance?”

~“David, dahling, please ask Branson to bring the car around.  I believe a breath of fresh air and a jaunt around the countryside will clear my befuddled brain.”

~“Mr. Cahson, the guinea pig cage is becoming evah so ripe.  Do ask one of the footman to tidy it up a bit.”

Oh YES.  I gotta have me some Downton Abbey.

5 comments:

The Acri's said...

You're funny! I thought you had a full time job now? Or are you sitting in the classroom giving the kids "time to work on their homework" while you are busy preparing tomorrow's lesson, I mean, partaking in your new addiction?

Sorry, I'm could never get on board with period pieces. Or maybe it's just that I just prefer a more Mediterranean accent! I do love it when you can find something that pleasantly surprises you like this. Mine right now is in the form of a 20 month old in perpetual motion...and my bathrooms are suffering the same fate!!

Tara said...

We are on the season 2 DVD over here, but need to catch up quickly because season 3 is now on TV! I was reading online about DA a week or so ago and I too stumbled on a spoiler that I wish I hadn't. John and I hate O'Brien and Thomas too and I can't for the life of me understand why they haven't been fired yet!?! One of our favorite things Maggie Smith said (and I'm forgetting if this was season 1 or 2) was "Week-end? What is a week end?"

stephanie said...

I really need to get on board. Sadly, I have not seen a single episode.

Don't hate.

Deb said...

omgomgomg! Mason got a Kindle for Christmas which came with Prime for a month and we have an iPad and now I can totally watch the first 2 seasons!!!!!!!!! I was in the same boat as you about wanting to finally jump on the bandwagon. We don't have Netflix anymore, and since PBS doesn't have them online I spent hours reading through the first two seasons, episode by episode, and watching the recap videos. Which totally doesn't get you invested in the characters (duh, no zingers), but at least I knew the back story. And I watched the first to episodes of this year on TV. But now I'm going to watch those buggest on my iPad via Prime before it runs out! I *heart* you, Beth. I really do. :)

ichi-ban critic said...

I LOVE Downton Abbey too! I want to be Maggie Smith when I grow old. Older. What a fun trip.