Monday, January 28, 2013

January Instagram

IMG_4704

Happy New Year!  We were invited to a child friendly party this year and had a ball.  Last year we played board games and someone had to pinch me every 20 minutes or so in an effort to keep me awake until midnight.  This year we hung out with good friends and the kids ran around like lunatics and the guys played poker and the women tried not to eat the food but did eat the food, which was really good food.

IMG_4703IMG_4705

Look!  I’m in a picture!  And on the right is our hostess, Karen, who is modeling that teen favorite, the “duckface”.  Karen pulls that look off like I never could.  And oh, how I’ve tried.

At midnight we all gathered around the t.v. and watched the ball drop.  We found it odd that New York City was a little off this year.  We noticed they were a minute or so late (based on my phone’s time and Karen’s microwave clock), but we all counted down and celebrated…

IMG_4711IMG_4712

…which was when someone remembered that Karen had rewound the t.v. during a Justin Bieber concert earlier in the evening (apparently she’s a fan), which meant that we had actually celebrated the countdown a minute or two late.  The neighbors must have been wondering.

Moving on.

Maddie’s birthday…

IMG_0057

My birthday…

IMG_4723IMG_4729

Dave made me crème brulee, and Jack designed a beautiful sign for my classroom door through Cathy Williams’ business, A Fly on the Wall.  Dave and I went out for dinner and drinks with my birthday twin, Carol, and her husband.  Carol and I share the exact same birthday, same year and everything!  It would be neglectful of me if I didn’t mention, however, that Carol is slightly older than I, being born in the morning hours, whereas I was born in the evening.  Just thought I’d mention it.  Just for the sake of accuracy.

IMG_0062IMG_0063

Dave’s dad hosted Jack’s scout troop at LVC for a lesson on bones. The kids had a great time, and Jack was so proud to show off his Papa to everyone!

Basketball has begun!  This is Ben’s first season in basketball, and he’s definitely showing improvement and a lot of natural talent, probably inherited from me, but possibly, though remotely possibly, from Dave (who is helping coach).

IMG_4715

Maddie’s swim season is also going strong.  Let me tell you we are always totally riveted on the action in the pool!

IMG_4734

Ahem.

(That’s my birthday twin’s husband Dane, then Jack, and two of Carol’s daughters, Maddie and Ellie.  Carol’s other two daughters swim).  That’s an actual, unposed picture, people.  I’m sorry Maddie.

Anywho.  Did you know that swimmers only swim 4 events in the whole meet?  And to remember their events they write them on their hands.  in Permanent marker.  So by the time it all washes off, it’s time for a new meet and a new list!

IMG_4739

Apparently using a ballpoint pen or your memory is a ridiculous suggestion.

Do you remember Maddie was in the WITF spelling bee last year?  Well, I’m proud to say she won her school bee again, so she and the other two finalists got to travel to the WITF studios yesterday to take the 100 word test to see who qualifies for the televised bee (they will take the top 36…out of 150 students…scores).

Maddie was chosen to be interviewed ahead of time!  (I think they figure if she made it last year, there’s a good chance she’ll make it this year).  If she does make the bee, she will be in the pre-show!

IMG_4744

She was so nervous, but she did so great! 

Parents were ushered out of the testing room and into our own, cold, dark, cave of a room.  Although we couldn’t see the kids, we could hear the pronouncer, and we were given testing sheets of our own.  Here’s my test after the first half:

IMG_4750

I only got two wrong on the whole test:  tintinnabulation and aitch (that’s letter “h”, people!  Who knew?!)  I’ll let you know after Friday if she makes it.  Keep your fingers crossed for her!

P.S. School is going great!  I am really and truly loving it!  Of course, I can’t really talk about it here, to protect the privacy of my class, and to protect the privacy of one of my readers, whose son is in my class, how cool is that?  Thank you for asking about it though, Pam!

5 comments:

ichi-ban critic said...

Really impressed with your spelling skills; think I would have failed at some of those words. Of course, you are a teacher, we expect good scores from you. Your teaching has taken you away from your blog, I miss you!

Tara said...

Wow, there are some really fun words on that spelling test!! Tchotchke, lollygag, flibbertigibbet,quesadilla. Obviously, you should have been interviewed as well! And I agree with Ichi-ban; I miss you too! Darn those kids at school, requiring excellent teaching, taking you away from blogging!

Deb said...

TOMORROW IS FRIDAY!!!!!!!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!! GO MADDIE GO!

Also, glad you like your job. GO MADDIE! Clearly that's where she got her smartie pants from. YaaaaaayyyyYYYYY MADDIE!

Carol said...

Thanks for letting us make your blog, Beth! I'm so honored to be your birthday twin, even if I have to be the older one! Age before beauty, I guess! :) Great job on the spelling test, Beth, and congrats and good luck to Maddie!

corners of my life said...

Wow. You have such a busy life these days and it sounds like you are enjoying every bit of it.

BTW - looks like hostess, Karen had a fun time at her party!