Monday, July 22, 2013

Big Children Are Dumb

Last week it was really hot, remember?  It was almost so hot that we didn’t even want to go in our 90 degree pool (although we did every day…but the air conditioned inside of the house was hard to leave).

IMG_5833

            (So hot he had to cool off in the pool with the hose).

Anyway, I suggested we take a little trip to Bullfrog Valley Park. The last time we went was probably two years ago. There’s not much to do there except take off your shoes and wade in the creek, but it’s shaded and involves water much cooler than our pool.  I thought the kids would jump at the chance to go, because it’s simple fun, but it’s very fun.

Can you believe I had only had one taker?

IMG_5854

                                                THIS guy.

The other two grumps didn’t feeeeeeel like going anywhere (Maddie) or said we’d probably be there forever (Ben).  I should have made them go, but I didn’t, and Jack and I had a really nice time together. 

Wading…

IMG_5816

Stalking ducks…

IMG_5820

Throwing rocks and building dams…

IMG_5819

And hanging out with a ton of butterflies…

IMG_5822

                          (Really!  They were all over the place.)

And then we went to Giant for a few things and Jack got a strawberry Scooter Crunch.  BURNED Grumpy Big Kids!  No Scooter Crunches for YOU! 

When we got home, both Maddie and Ben said they wished they had gone with us (before they even heard about the ice cream) so we will be going back again, this week or next.  

And I hope they will remember that there are better things in life than screens and lazing around on the sofa.

2 comments:

corners of my life said...

A perfect outing for some great bonding with Jack..

Deb said...

I remember being the big dumb kid and not wanting to do crap. Sometimes I'm still that big dumb kid. But thanks for the reminder ... life passes you buy when your slouching on the couch. GET OUT AND DO STUFF!!!