Tuesday, August 25, 2009

May I Take Your Order?

Ask a kid what he wants to be when he grows up and he will not usually answer "accountant", "secretary", "factory worker", "salesman", or "market manager" (sorry Dave).

Kids want to be something fun: Garbage Truck driver! Baseball player! Pool Cleaner! Veterinarian! Dairy Queen Counter Girl!

When does reality hit for most kids? When do their vocational choices reflect an understanding of skill level (or lack thereof), financial backing, need for higher education, and eventual job pay and its relationship to whether they will be able to afford everything their grown-up heart desires?

I always wanted to be a teacher. In middle school, I was briefly interested in pursuing a career as a hairstylist because I loved playing with my friends' hair, but I was lured back to teaching eventually. However, I don't think I was representative of my peers.

Today in the car, the kids were discussing Who I Want to Be When I Grow Up.
Maddie: artist or fashion designer
Ben: Head of the SWAT team or Guns 'n Roses band member
Jack: firefighter, policeman, or ambulance driver.

I wish I could jump in Marty McFly's DeLorean and travel to the future and see where they end up! Maybe I'll be dressed in the Latest Maddie Wolfe design, watching my Ben sing Welcome to the Jungle to a crowd of thousands, while Jack keeps the stadium safe and secure.

Or maybe I'll have a doctor, salesman, and biology teacher visiting me for Christmas. As long as they're happy in what they do, I'm sure I'll be proud.

No comments: