Thursday, August 13, 2009

Milestones for Mama's Sanity

The other day, I realized that we have hit another milestone: Jack can now turn on the shower, suds up, rinse off, turn off, and dry off without any help from me. That's three kids down...zero to go.

I remember when bathtime was a major chore. Getting the 4 year old showered while the baby cried and the three year old ran around naked, then getting the 3 year old showered while the 4 year old played with the baby, then bathing the baby while the 3 and 4 year olds fought or cried or asked for snacks or dumped the shampoo on the bathroom rug.

Now I can shout, "Did you use shampoo?" in the vicinity of the bathroom and my job is done.

Here are some other Milestones for Mama's Sanity we have reached:
1. Everyone can buckle his or her own car seat.
2. No more diapers.
3. No need to cut hot dogs into twenty thousand pieces.
4. Children can choose clothes and dress themselves (though I cringe at some of the combinations they come up with).
5. Everyone can swim.
6. They tell me what hurts.
7. No need to use the mega-carts at the grocery store so I can shackle buckle all three of them down for the entire grocery shopping experience.
8. Am able to sit and chat with other adults at social events instead of following a toddler around all afternoon.

I have often been warned by grandma-like women in Walmart or Giant or wherever else I've left in near-tears after a particularly trying public display, to "enjoy them! Someday they'll be grown ..." And it's true. My oldest does not fit comfortably in my lap anymore, reads her own book at bedtime, and no longer believes that my kiss makes the boo-boo better (though she'll still accept the kiss, so that's something).

But I still savor elimination of behaviors/chores that made me pull out my hair in frustration, disgust, or boredom. I just can't believe that someday I'll say, "Oh how I wish I could wipe a poopy hiney again..."

No comments: