Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday the 13th

…is today.  Did you know that?  My friend Jenny and I went to see Friday the 13th part 29 (or something close to that) in high school once.  I’m really not sure why we even attempted that, because I have always hated those stupid horror movies.  Anyway, during the “prologue” they showed clips of the earlier Friday the 13ths, so you’d be caught up on the “plot”, and it was so terrifyingly horrible that we left and went to the other theater which was showing Romancing the Stone and saw that instead.

   vs.  imagesCALQQ93J

photo source                                                                                                                                  photo source

No contest, really:  Jason vs. (early) Michael Douglas, horror vs. romance, gore vs. jungle love, bloody hockey mask vs. Danny DeVito in a sweaty undershirt.  I really don’t know what we were thinking.

I’ve never really been afraid of Friday the 13th (the day, not the movie), nor was I ever really bothered by most superstitions (although I don’t walk under ladders, and I do knock on wood when I don’t want to ruin my good luck, and I don’t open umbrellas in the house, and I don’t step on sidewalk cracks, but those are not because I’m superstitious, but rather because I’m smart and caring.  My mother has me to thank for that healthy back of hers, you know.)

I googled “superstitions” for you and found out some interesting information:

-When cows lift their tails, it is a sure sign that rain is coming. Hmmm.  First of all, if you’ve lived in central Pennsylvania for most of your life as I have, you know that when cows lie down, that is a sure sign that rain is coming.  According to my mother (the one with the healthy back), it is because they want to pick out a nice dry seat for the approaching rainstorm.   Also, I’m pretty sure that cows lift their tails for a completely different reason.  And I am too much of a lady to detail that for you.

(No I’m not!  It’s for pooping, people!)

-A cricket in the house brings good luck.  False.  This one I know for sure.  A cricket in the house brings chaos and terror.  Not one child in my house can sleep with a cricket chirping somewhere (even Bug Boy).  They are all sure that the cricket will eventually end up in their rooms on their pillows or will cozy up under their covers with them.  Even a cricket in the garage must be found and returned to its outdoor home if it’s anywhere near bedtime.

-Seeing an ambulance is very unlucky unless you pinch your nose or hold your breath until you see a black or a brown dog. What?  This seems complicated (what if it’s a dalmation?) and life threatening  (no dog=no oxygen=passing out).  At least there’s probably an ambulance in the immediate area to take you to the hospital to revive you.  This particular superstition reminds me of when I was in high school.  One of my friends had a bridge superstition.  Whenever the school bus went over a bridge, she’d hold her breath and her nose and lift her feet off the bus floor until we made it to the other side.  That was all very well and good until we headed to Virginia Beach on our band trip one year and went over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel.  That was exhausting.  Yet exciting, I will admit.

-Place a hand in front of your mouth when sneezing. Your soul may escape otherwise.  The devil can enter your body when you sneeze. Having someone say, "God bless you," drives the devil away.  I seriously thought this was all just good hygiene and manners!  I have to say, this is quite a burden to realize that I am responsible for keeping that sneaky soul of mine from running off into the night and for keeping the devil away from a sneezing friend.  On the other hand, it is good information to know for when I don’t like someone and want to call in the devil for a few favors.

-A spider is a repellent against plague when worn around the neck in a walnut shell.  Ew.  I think I will just stick with vaccines and immunizations, thankyouverymuch.

-First is the worst, second is the best, third is the one with the hairy chest.  This one is all the rage in my house right now, particularly with Jack.  He refuses to enter any room, restaurant, the car, etc. first, and will push you out of his way so he won’t be third.  Maddie and Ben used to fight him over this one, but have recently either matured or grown tired of always having to jostle around for the best order.  Not Jack though.  The other day he held out his arm and said, “You may go first, madam”, and I thought, “Oh, how cute and polite!”  And then he yelled “First is the worst!  Second is the best!”  And I realized that he had just screwed my good luck for the day.

Here are some new superstitions I’m hoping to start:

-Three kisses for mom, bad dreams will be gone.  Whining ‘bout bed?  Bad dreams you will dread.

-A toy on the floor means bad luck at your door.  Put the toy in its bin or you will sit on a pin.

-Eat your veggies, every last one, and then your homework will be magically done!

-Rub your mother’s feet with care and love, the angels will wink at you from above.

 

Happy Friday the 13th, People!  And remember this very famous and cautionary superstition:

-Leave a comment below, or have a day full of woe.

Scary, but true.

3 comments:

Tara said...

I definitely don't want a day of woe, but it seems like things are already headed that way. My kids had an early dismissal and I already had to break up one argument ("he said I look stupid!!!!" "No I didn't! I said you look weird!!!") and i sense that more confrontations are brewing. I think this is a bad omen of what's to come. Having an early dismissal on Friday the 13th was just a bad idea all the way around. Oh,and if a spider in a walnut shell wards off the plague, I wonder what a dead stink bug on my window sill does???

Karen said...

I'm going to print these new superstitions for my fridge! And, by the way, my kids don't know about the hairy chest, they say 3rd is the one w/ the treasure chest... meaning they basically fight over 2nd and 3rd, unless of course they are going for a drive in the car, then they push everyone out of the way so they don't get stuck in the middle seat. Ugh. Did I mention I am thankful for your new Mom-focused superstitions?

Jemsmom said...

This is good. I read the first one about cows and before I ever got to the part, I thought to myself, "Hello, it is when they are laying down that it rains!", then you said it! Brilliant minds think alike! I grew up on a cattle farm and trust me...the lifting the tails is pooping. Blah! When I say the cows are laying down it must be going to rain, there will always be one dumb cow that is standing up so Tom says, "Only a 90% chance!" We are fun!

Crickets will also eat your carpets. Just sayin'

Now that I sneeze and cough into my elbow, is that enough to keep my soul in??

I am loving the first new superstition. I am all over that and the second one too as I just cleaned out and organized the playroom!!!!

This is good stuff woman!