Monday, January 23, 2012

I Am Crafty AGAIN!

The last time I was crafty was last fall when I made this.

And now, I have been crafty again!  Traditionally, at Christmas time, I embellish my fresh wreath with red gingham ribbon and white snowflakes, and it usually lasts me through to Valentine’s Day, because it’s not too Christmas-y looking.    But unfortunately, this year I went with a boxwood wreath instead of my usual pine wreath and the boxwood got dried out and brown way more quickly than the pine usually did.  (Sorry, I didn’t think to take a picture).  This spurred me into action.

I pulled out an old grapevine wreath and pulled all of the stuff off of it, and then gluegunned some felt flowers and hearts onto it that I picked up at Hobby Lobby.  This craft took me about 32 seconds to complete, just the way I like it.
DSCF8185
The red heart hanging in the middle is actually a Christmas ornament I bought at Target several years ago.  I think the wreath would be totally cute covered in those red felt flowers, but there were only two packs of them at Hobby Lobby the day I was there. Maybe they’ve restocked, but I’m okay with it as it is.

I also decided to spruce up my mantle the day I was wandering the aisles at Hobby Lobby, which I normally don’t tend to do, as I am generally stuck in a decorating rut for most of the year.  But I saw this cute rose covered wreath which was marked 50% off, and then I decided to make a little garland to go along with it:
DSCF8174
DSCF8177
Basically, I bought these felt heart ornaments, gluegunned the little felt heart into each center, then glued them each to the ribbon so they don’t slide.  If you look at the picture above, you can see I’ve screwed little hooks under the wooden mantle.  These are our Christmas stocking hooks, so I just pulled them out of the Christmas box.

The other things that are on the mantle are there year round, no change there.   But I like it!
DSCF8180
I think Maddie and her friend totally appreciate the wreath and garland, in fact, I’m pretty sure their Wii scores are higher, their blood pressures are lower, and they each have a warm feeling in their little hearts just knowing that lovely mantle is so near to them.

I’m totally sure of it.

3 comments:

Jemsmom said...

I think your wreath is great, but you outdid yourself on the garland! You go girl and it does look like they are totally appreciative of your time and talent!

Crickit said...

What a great job you did! I love the wreath and your mantle. So cute!

stephanie said...

Way to go Beth!!!! Don't ya just love Hobby Lobby. Sometimes I can get a little overwhelmed in there though, so many things to look at!

Keep on crafting girl!