Monday, August 13, 2012

Cape May

Last week was our vacation week in Cape May, NJ.  Dave’s parents rent a gorgeous house a block from the beach for all of us to share, and we had another fabulous time, thanks to them.

Last summer I told you all about Cape May’s beautiful houses, about some beach traditions we have, and about our trip to the boardwalk.  So I won’t be repeating myself there.  This year we also went to the Cape May Zoo, which was not only free, but actually a very nice zoo, with giraffes, monkeys, turtles (which were my favorite), and capybara (which were Maddie’s favorite since they reminded her of Herbie, who we missed so much…thanks Jodi for taking good care of him!  Mwah!), and plenty more hot and bored looking animals.  Unfortunately, my batteries died seconds after I turned on my camera so you are spared will unfortunately not get to see a single picture of a turtle or capybara.

On the way home from the zoo, we stopped at an Acme and bought Ben’s cookie birthday cake, and Jack sat on it the second I placed it in the car.  No pics of that though either (camera batteries, dangit!) but the cookie was only a little smooshed and Jack got the piece with the butt indentation on it so it all worked out just fine in the end.  (Ha!  In the END!)

Other than that, I’ve mostly got lots and lots of beach pictures.  This might be a good time to go use the bathroom or get yourself a snack as there are quite a few and I know you won’t be able to break yourself away once you get started.  Enjoy!

DSCF0475

Have I ever mentioned that Dave’s brother Allan is a priest?  We always start our week off with our own personal mass, including hymns and a very personalized homily (warning…we’ve learned to listen closely to the scripture readings….Allan asks questions and expects answers!) and a 5 minute Sign of Peace time as we make our way around the room to greet everyone.

We also celebrated Tyler’s 16th birthday on our second day at the beach! Here he is coming down in the morning to a big “Surprise!” from everyone:

DSCF0468

DSCF0489

DSCF0542

DSCF0578

DSCF0579

DSCF0621

DSCF0684

DSCF0728

DSCF0787

DSCF0854

DSCF0685DSCF0852

DSCF0933

DSCF0752

DSCF0756

DSCF0861

DSCF0953

Look! A seagull flew by as I took this picture!:

DSCF0992

DSCF0977

DSCF0960DSCF0964

And….can you believe…I think I’ve got my Christmas card picture in AUGUST!

DSCF0900

This has happened only once before, people. Join me in a happy dance!  Woot woot!

On Thursday I’ll have one more BeachPost:  Instagram at the Beach.

3 comments:

Deb said...

I LOVE IT! (Your Christmas photo.) That said, I still expect to see the annual FAIL post, even if you have to specifically take failures, becuase your fans look forward to that. (Right, other fans????)

Also too, now that vacation is over and school is soon to start, I'm feeling coffee is in my future!

corners of my life said...

Your parents must be thrilled to be able to provide this wonderful vacation. Lucky them - lucky you.

Tara said...

I love the pic of everybody reading on the beach; those are my kind of people! So, yes, I will go to the beach with you next year; thanks for asking!