Thursday, October 4, 2012

Instagram September

We started off the month of September with a visit to the local public pool with the Scout Troop, but it was cool and overcast, so although the scouts had the pool to themselves and Jack had a ball with his friends, Maddie and Ben were bummed that there were only eight year olds there.  They never even got in, just mostly sat on the bench occasionally saying, “When is it time to eat?”, “We’re bored.”, and “When can we go hoooome?”

Jack pool

                                                           Blue lips--- it was so chilly.

In mid-September we closed our pool.  Here is one last look at a pretty sunset in September before we covered it all up with the boring green cover.

pool sunset

Now that both the temperatures and humidity are down, our cul-de-sac is filled once again many times a week with bikers and scooterers and chalk artists.  I love it.

culdesac

It’s happy grasshopper time again, people!  Shield your children!  These two grasshoppers found a way to pass the time while locked up in Jack’s bug catcher…

grasshoppers happy

Bug Boy’s also loving Praying Mantis time.

praying mantis

Dave and three of his friends have been organizing a golf scramble to benefit our church’s building fund since last spring.  It was so exciting to be a part of the actual scramble day!  Karen and Carol, two good friends (and wives of two of the organizer guys) and I were in charge of a contest on one of the golf holes.  The best part was we got to drive a golf cart!

golf cart

And even better, I won a prize in one of the raffles!  No, not the big screen t.v. , and before you ask, it wasn’t for the giant basket of Hershey products.  We won…

baloney

                            It was gone in less than a week.  We all love sweet bologna! 

Grandma W.  took us and the cousins to Kugo’s!

kugos

                        No eyebrows were singed in the making of this photograph.

My personal decorator helped me with my Halloween décor.  He is available for a small fee to decorate your house.  His schedule is tight though, I’d call him soon for an appointment!

jack decorating

I got a new hairdo this month.  Right after the stylist cut my hair, I was left sitting in the chair so she could mix up my highlight stuff.  I sat there thoroughly horrified.  I seriously wanted to cry, as I felt I looked like either Leather Tuscadaro from Happy Days fame or possibly a member of an eighties rock band.  See for yourself.

beth's hair

       Those are the eyes of a frightened little girl held hostage inside Leather Tuscadaro.

It wasn’t any better after they blew me out, and then it took me about three weeks to figure out how to style all of those layers.  But now I seriously love it!  I really mean that! 

We’ve done the Rails to Trails quite a few times with the kids this summer.  Since we can only fit 4 bikes on the rack/in the car, that means I am usually the one who drives the car from a drop off point on the trail to a pick up point.  Maddie always rides the whole way, but Ben and Jack usually give in (with lots of whining) earlier on the route.  Dave and I even went biking ourselves on the trail and I think we biked 12 miles in all on our trip.  No snakes were spotted, which is always a bonus.

rails to trails

                                                                               I had a nice view.

What do you get when you put a bunch of eight year olds in uniform and tell them to sit quietly on the floor while you initial their achievements in their scout books?

scouts w

             I am so glad I didn’t volunteer to be a leader.  God Bless Wolf Scout Leaders.

We all took a hike with Jack’s troop last weekend at the Middlecreek Wildlife Preserve in Schaefferstown.  As you can see, Maddie and Ben were so excited to be a part of hiking and geocaching!  Their enthusiasm was catching!

hike

                                                            NOT a posed picture, people.

There were a ton of mennonites hiking too, and they all seemed to enjoy it.  Aren’t they cute?

hike 2

Look at this view!  It was a gorgeous day!

hike 3

~

That’s right.  He SEWS!

dave sewing

And he sews like a classy person.  Just look at that pinky raised up!  He’s got on his (former Steeler’s Coach) Bill Cowher face, which is the face he has when he’s concentrating a lot or not happy with a developing situation.  Compare:

bill cowher

photo source

Ben was so happy when his fifth grade teacher showed up in church the other week!  I pointed him out to him, and he got a big smile on his face, a look of wonder in his eyes, and he immediately sat up straighter.  Mr. B. was there with his wife and adorable baby and we got to watch that sweet, smiley, wiggly baby the whole service because they sat just a few rows in front of us.

ben and brinser

My good friend Laura moved.  Far away to New Jersey.  We are all going to miss her and her family so much.

move

And we had our last Rainbow Snow of the season.  Booooooooooooo.  They have closed until the spring.

maddie ice cream

And finally, it’s time for Celebrity Instagram!  Have you ever wondered what goes on at school assemblies where Rosie O’Donnell’s children attend school?  Well, wonder no more!

rosie

 

Happy October, everyone!

5 comments:

Donna said...

Leather Tuscadero! I always wanted to be Leather Tuscadero! How did it feel to be her for a day? :)

Beth said...

Donna, being Leather is not all it's cracked up to be. I felt in the shadow of my big sister, Pinky, even though everyone knows I'm totes cooler than she. Also, my leather jacket got wet in a surprise downpour, so now I smell like dead cow. Also, if my friend, the Fonz, tells me one more time to Sit on It, I'm going to tell Mr. C. he's a member of the Milwaukee Mafia and get him kicked out of that garage apt of his.

Tara said...

Beth! You married a Steeler fan, I married a Steeler fan! You have a son named Jack, I have a son named Jack! You ride on the rails to trails, I ride on the rails to trails! WE ARE PRACTICALLY THE SAME PERSON! Are you as freaked out as I am by the similarities here?!
Also, I think I might want to steal your idea of posting pictures at the end of each month, which would just be ONE MORE THING WE HAVE IN COMMON!!

stephanie said...

OK, that picture looking down into the valley is AMAZING! Do you remember what setting you used for the edit. I would totally blow that baby up and frame it!

Mr. B does have a cute baby! And he's not so bad himself!

Tara is totally stalking you!

stephanie said...

You know I loved your hair! I think I told you numerous times! I want your hair!