Monday, October 1, 2012

The Meal That Tore the Family Apart

On Sunday, Maddie and Dave finally made an apple pie (or two) from those apples we picked last week. 

pie3

The house  smelled so good, and we were all looking forward to dessert so much.

pie2

Unfortunately, the evening meal consisted of grilled chicken, broccoli, and…gnocchi. (DUM DUM DUMMMM!) I mentioned here how much Ben hates gnocchi*, and I have to tell you, we rarely have gnocchi, maybe once every two or three years, because it brings out such strong, negative reactions from him.  However, Dave loves gnocchi.  He almost always orders it any time we eat at an Italian restaurant, so after not making it in over a year, I decided it was time to try it again.

If you thought allowing Ben’s taste buds to mature over the previous year would be helpful, you would be wrong.  And as an added bonus, Jack climbed aboard the the Anti-Gnocchi Train with an enthusiastic fervor that was impressive in one so young.

At first, their grumpiness was merely annoying.  There was the usual whining and bargaining, and questions about how many more they needed to eat to still be able to get that pie for dessert.  And then the gagging and tears began.  Every bite of gnocchi elicited an actual gag reflex in both boys.  It got to the point that Dave, Maddie, and I were  in tears (of laughter)  ourselves over the ridiculousness of the boys.

pie6pie5

                                      People, they had like five gnocchi each to eat.  No need to call the Child Abuse Hotline.

Maddie ‘s comment? “Gnocchi… the food that tore our family apart.”

They had the option of skipping the gnocchi but foregoing dessert, but Jack wanted pie so much. Ben, who doesn’t like pie crust, just wanted ice cream.  I silently vowed that I would never, ever bring the Devil Gnocchi into our house again.  Never EVER!  Dave did a lot of eye rolling, and Maddie was almost doubled over laughing at all of the gagging going on. 

Finally, they each managed to work their way through their five little gnocchi.

pie4

And the pie made it all worthwhile.**

*Gnocchi is made from potatoes, flour and salt.  Not liver and onions. Not scrapple.  Not pig knuckles.  POTATOES, FLOUR AND SALT!!!

**No.  It did not.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Blech, I hate gnocchi too. It's gross. I gag when I try to eat it too. It's amazing how potatoes, flour and salt can be combined into something so yucky. But I do love me some apple pie, so I maybe might be persuaded to choke down 5 gnocchi just to get some home-made apple pie. Or maybe I'll just go to Sam's Club tomorrow and buy my own apple pie, home-made with love by a Sam's Club worker. OR I could show up at your house for pie (but not gnocchi) leftovers. I have lots of options.

stephanie said...

Do they eat perogies? (did I spell that right?) Did you put butter & cheese on the gnocchi? It's such a fun word to say though! Gnocchi, gnocchi, gnocchi.....

Deb said...

Dude, LOVE it! We still have similar battles over yellow squash with Mason, including tears and gagging. Once, when he was 2 or 3 (still in a crib) we had a battle of wills over a cooked carrot that lasted all evening until I THOUGHT I won ... until I tucked him into his crib that night for bed and OUT POPPED THE STUPID UNCHEWED CARROT! So I love this story, because I'm snorting and giggling along with Maddie et al. I agree ... it's not liver or pig knuckles. And they all can be covered in butter and salt. I could probably gag down a pig knuckle if covered in enough butter and salt.


I may have to go get some gnocchi because I don't believe I've ever had it. I'm sure Mason will hate it as he hates all things potato, except fries.

Crickit said...

I finally found you again! What a cute blog. The apple pie looks like it made everything ok. :)