Monday, November 5, 2012

Autumn and Herbie

My computer cord was delivered today while I was busy being sneezed on by a bunch of first graders.  Woo hoo!  Now, of all the posts swimming around in my fishbowl of a brain, I felt that Herbie’s fans would most appreciate a post devoted to him.  You’re welcome!

Let’s begin by taking a look at Herbie’s favorite fall flower, the chrysanthemum.

DSCF1526

Herbie and I have had many a lively discussion debating the merits of the chrysanthemum vs. the aster, with Herbie stubbornly proclaiming the chrysanthemum’s superiority which  I think, quite frankly, is ridiculous.   I mean, you’d think he’d open his mind for a friendly discussion about bloom time or frost resistance or pollen production, but NOOO, it’s chrysanthemums all the time with him.  It actually gets a little annoying, if you want to know the truth.

DSCF1525

When the chrysanthemum discussions get a little old and my head starts to hurt from all the eye rolling I’m doing, I take Herbie outside for a visit to Mr. Skeleton.  That always calms him the heck down!  Herb gets a little freaked out with these visits.  “What’s another nice fall flower Herbie?  That’s right, dude.  The aster.”

Herbie likes pumpkins though!

DSCF1524

In fact, he loves pumpkin seeds so much that he usually starts begging to carve the pumpkins in mid-July, but I’m all, “Herbie, why you ackin’ so cra-cra?” and he’s all “If you really loved me you’d do it” then I’m all, “If you really loved me you’d stop pooping every two minutes” and then his shame takes over and he shuts up already about the stinkin’ pumpkin seeds.

Herbie also enjoys climbing amid the autumn foliage!  I bet you didn’t know guinea pigs could climb trees, did you?

DSCF1531

He gets so excited that he just keeps climbing and climbing.  One time we had to call the fire department in to get him down, which was really quite embarrassing for everyone involved, especially me.  There were a lot of questions posed regarding my “competency” as a pet owner, but anyone who was really watching would have picked up on Herbie snickering as he sat in the fire fighter’s hat, whispering,  “Chrysanthemums rule” under his breath.  Seriously.  What I put up with.

Herbie is also always up for a good romp in the leaf pile.

DSCF1536

In the picture below, Maddie is trying to get him to calm down.  Sometimes he takes leaf throwing a little far and more than one person has ended up in tears over Herbie’s crazed “tornado o’ flaming leaves” as he likes to call it.

DSCF1538

“I sorry.  Can I has a pumpkin seed?”

Still, we love our sweet Herbie.  And we wouldn’t trade him for all the asters in the world.

DSCF1532

2 comments:

stephanie said...

It is very hard for me to type with my eyes closed because looking at close-ups of rodents is very scary and I can't bring myself to linger too long on any one picture! I'm sorry Herbie!

Tara said...

Herbie is more active than me.