Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ladies’ Man

Jack got his first phone call.  From a GIRL! 

When I told him that “Girl From School” was on the phone and wanted to talk to him, his eyes got big, then he took the phone and said hi.

After that, he didn’t talk for about two minutes.  I hovered near him.  “Is she talking?”  I asked him.  “Yes!”  he whispered.  “Well, talk back!” I said.

Pretty soon he did.  He asked her where she lived and told her where he lived.  He asked her to count to 10, then 4, then 42.  She also asked him to count because there was a lot of counting going on at our end.  A good 5 minutes of conversation were purely counting challenges.  Eventually he told her he had a video phone and could see her.  “Really!  I can see you!  It’s a special phone!”

Ben couldn’t take it.  “Jack, you are lying!  We don’t have a video phone!”

Jack ran into the hall closet and continued the conversation there, where, apparently, he could lie without dumb brothers turning him in.

He started talking in a British accent.  “Helloooo!  Good day!  How ARE you!”  Women do love a British accent, you’ve got to give him points for thinking of it.

They briefly discussed Halloween costumes (she’s going to be a black cat, he’s going to be a muscle man).

He turned on the speaker phone and so did she.  He marveled at how he could hear everything in her house.  “Was that your mom?  What did your brother say?  Is that a dog?”  They laughed and laughed and laughed. 

He eventually came out of the closet and told me he wanted to plug headphones into the phone.  I vetoed that one (I’m not even sure that’s possible).  Then he told her about Herbie the guinea pig and put the phone at the cage hoping Herbie would squeak (he didn’t).  That’s when I heard Girl From School’s mother tell her to say goodbye, as it was time for her to get ready for bed.  They said goodbye, back and forth about ten times.  Finally I said, “Say, ‘See you in school tomorrow!’”  He did. 

The call ended, and I checked the timer on the screen.  He had talked to her for 23 minutes.  I’m not sure I can hold a conversation with Dave for that long, although I’ve never asked him to count, so maybe that’s why.

Neither of these is the girl who called:

2010_0912davejamaewedding0210

This is also not the girl who called.

2010_0827lititz0005

Neither is this one:

2010_1002swinging0001

Um, yeah.  Not this one either (note her hand around his waist and, we can assume, his around hers):

2010_0527preschoolgrad0110

Jack is definitely a ladies’ man.  I’m not sure whether to be amused or nervous about this, although I’m definitely leaning toward amused right now as my stomach hurts from laughing outside the closet door for 23 minutes.

Of course, ask me again in 10 years, I may have a different answer for you.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Well OF COURSE the girls are falling all over him -- he's such a cutie! Good luck with that...

stephanie said...

Very impressive Jack!! 23 minutes!! I don't think I've had a 23 minute convo with my Dave either!

corners of my life said...

I'll look forward to your blog about a phone call in 10 years. Chances are ano one will be counting. Oh those eyes!

Jen said...

love this post!! you don't have to have"the talk" with him already do you???? you know the birds and the bees???