Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Feeling Crafty, yet Grumpy

I enjoy reading about Meg from Whatever’s weekly craft with her children (Craft Thursday), but I’ve never tried any of them out until now.  Meg has a whole cupboard dedicated to crafts containing paints and fuzzy things and beads and tissue paper, and she herself is very crafty, sewing pillows etc. for her Etsy shop.  But I am not so crafty.   Last week, however, she featured this craft, and I decided it was one I thought the kids and I could try.

Jack and I shopped for doilies from Wal-Mart.  We have plenty of watercolor paints at home, and that was all we needed.  Maddie had a friend over, and we got to work.

Basically, we painted those doilies with the watercolors any way we wanted.

2011_0212herbiedoilies00542011_0212herbiedoilies0059

(By the way, notice the pile next to Maddie.  That is her seat at the counter, and no matter how much I nag her, her personal things tend to pile up there.  Is that deodorant I see?  Yes.  Yes, it is.)

So, I had this picture in my head, of my three children (and a friend) smiling contentedly at the counter, enjoying a non-holiday-spurred craft (painting Easter eggs, decorating a gingerbread house), chatting with each other, thanking their mother for bringing this fine craft into their lives.   Mmmm.  It was a nice mental picture.

But.  Ben was playing a game on the computer and wasn’t interested, and Jack?  Well, apparently I gave him the watercolor set that was the messiest looking.  He wanted a nicer looking one.  And had he asked nicely, it might have happened, but around here, crying and stomping your feet does not get you what you want.  So he ended up in his room with a tantrum, and Maddie and her friend worked on the craft.  Oh well.

2011_0212herbiedoilies0057

Eventually, Jack came downstairs for some comfort.2011_0212herbiedoilies0060

And then Maddie kindly offered to trade paint sets, and he and his red and soggy eyes got to work.

2011_0212herbiedoilies0062

2011_0212herbiedoilies0063

2011_0212herbiedoilies0058

Then I strung them up and hung them in the living room window.

2011_0212herbiedoilies0068

(Wikki Sticks on the window.  We just can’t get enough of the Wikki Sticks.) (The field behind the fence is the FOX field.)

2011_0212herbiedoilies0072

I think it worked out pretty well, considering.

5 comments:

Crickit said...

The hearts turned out really cute! What a fun craft day....even if someone started out grumpy!

Wendy said...

Looks beautiful and don't you just love this sunshine we are enjoying :)
Wendy

Deb said...

Well no wonder Jack was upset. Everyone knows the kid with the messy watercolors is being singled out for humiliation.

I like how they sort of look like faces. The hearts, I mean, not the kids. Of course your kids' faces look like faces.

And I had to bring Matt in here to enjoy your Foxy Post. He wanted to know what part of town you're from. :-)

Jemsmom said...

I love those!!! I am always trying to do something crafty with Jemma and that sounds like a great website! I will check it out. I think those would be great for easter eggs! They look beautiful on the windows like stained glass!

I like to refer to the Fox field as the Field o' Love...:-)

Karen said...

Beautiful! And very sweet of Maddie to offer a switch with sad little Jack...