Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Be Careful What You Wish For…

Ben and I are both thinking that right now.

I complained in my last post that nothing was going on around here, nothing blogworthy anyway, unless you’d have wanted me to write about the meals I'd made that got whined about, the toilets I hadn't cleaned, the guinea pig cage I did clean, and the abundance of worms I found on the street after the huge rain we had last week.  Mm-hmm.  I didn’t think so.

And then on Sunday night-- BOOM!  I got my wish to have something happen.  I’m not sure how much you’re going to want to stick with me though, it’s definitely not a post for ye of weak stomach.

It all started with Jack falling asleep on the sofa.  In the middle of the day.  Jack collapses in his bed each night and passes out within five minutes from the time his head hits the pillow, because he is going going going all day, he is a motor-driven, mile-a-minute, talking-playing-running-whining-climbing-jumping machine.  He don’t need no steenking nap!  Yet there he was, asleep on the sofa.  By bedtime he had thrown up (on same sofa).  I made the comment that he’d probably be staying home from school the next day, which was when Ben fervently wished he could be sick too so he could also stay home.  Words Ben regretted about 3 hours later.

Ben threw up around 11:30 p.m.  As he lay in bed he threw up all over his pillow, sheet, two stuffed animals, and comforter.  But oh my…I am just getting started.  He must have also “projected” that last meal too, as it was sprayed onto the wall down to the floor, and stuck down in between the boxspring and the bed.  I got him cleaned up, put him in the shower, and stripped everything and put it all in the washer for my first load of the night.  I got him settled into his sleeping bag on the floor, checked in on Jack who was sleeping peacefully, then headed back to bed.  Ten minutes later, Jack was throwing up.

The boys spent the rest of the night alternating their spewtrid episodes every 20-30 minutes.  Really, it was very polite and efficient the way they scheduled it for me.  I was never taking care of two boys/stripping two beds/scraping two carpets at once.  They always took turns.  My sweetheart boys! 

Ben’s most exciting moment of the night was when he rushed to the bathroom with his mouth closed, hoping to make it to the toilet.  He almost made it, but sprayed his mouthful onto the wall and back of the toilet instead of down into the toilet bowl. 

It was a long night.  We all got some sleep from about 3-5 a.m. when Ben woke us up with yet another round of toilet brimming fun, and he did indeed earn Monday home from school and even a bonus day (today) because he vomited again last evening.  Jack developed an ear infection which bought him another day home too, although he’s not as happy about it as Ben is as he is missing art class today.

This whole episode was reminiscent of the Christmas of ‘08.  During Christmas Eve mass, Ben told me his belly was feeling sick.  Mine was also feeling queasy, but we were headed to a family party after the service and I ignored my symptoms and Ben’s and soldiered on, certain that a positive attitude would pull us through and beat down the building nausea.  Five minutes into the drive, Ben, who was sitting in the seat in the far back of the minivan, threw up.  Dave pulled over to the side of the road, I went back to help him, and my queasiness hit me hard and fast.  I jumped back out onto the street and threw up too.  Jack started to cry because Mama was throwing up, and then Maddie threw up too (she never likes to feel left out of things).  Dave drove us all home, which was when Jack finally joined us all in the family fun.  Dave spent the whole night helping various kids, washing loads of sheets, and wrapping the stocking stuffers/big presents I hadn’t gotten to.  I spent the night in bed/in front of the toilet.  Good old Dave.  I hope he got some good presents the next day.  I don’t really remember.  We all sat around half-heartedly opening gifts and then we all took turns napping.

Many thanks to Karen, my one and only commenter to try for the Real Or Fiction quiz.  Thanks so much, Karen, I appreciate your effort and will be dropping a pot of pansies off at your house this week.  Karen got an amazing seven answers right. Here are the correct answers:
True:  1,4,5,6,7,10
Fiction:  2,3,8,9

Many thanks also to Deb for being a good sport.  She emailed me that although she was honored to have made the list, “it seriously made my palms sweat, and I totally had to think, consciously, YOU ARE NOT PREGNANT.”  No, Deb is not pregnant, and she has been working hard on our Biggest Loser:  Blogger Edition and doing great (darn it).

Now I wonder…if I wish for warm sunshine, the scent of blooming lilacs gliding in my open windows on the soft, fluttery breeze, and flip-flops and capris…could I possibly get those too?

2 comments:

Karen said...

WOW, I kinda sorta thought the "prize" was false! Thank you so much for the hyacinths, they are beautiful!

Jemsmom said...

Bless your heart and the boys. Throwing up is miserable. We had that fun about three weeks ago with Jemma. She is really good with the bucket, but missed on the first round which of course is the grossest. I had to wash out the comforter gagging all the way! Hope everyone is better now and you are having a good week! Did I miss the quiz? All this traveling and I miss stuff!